Cases which brand is the best

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hawkeyeonme, Jan 3, 2010.

1. hawkeyeonme

hawkeyeonme New Member

If i go to the store and buy ammo that I can shoot and reload whitch brand is the best or do I buy new brass?
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

This is fine to reload factory ammo brass you have shot, unless it is steel cased and/or berdan primed.

No offense - as a reloader I do find it bass ackwards to buy and shoot factory ammo just to keep up your brass supply........?

federal,remington,winchester,pmc, are all fine, make sure you watch for blazer though some of their pistol casings are nonreloadable aluminum and are headstamped "NR" for non-reloadable.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It depends, to a large extent, on what caliber you are loading.

I bought several thousand rounds of 9mm. Mostly PMC or WWB. Could not buy brass and load it for what they used to sell it for. Waaaay back, when I bought my first 357, WW 38 Wadcutter Target ammo was 8 bucks a box. Once again, I could not buy new 38 brass, and load it for that price. So I bought lots of it.

I have noticed, with 32 ACP, that Federal brass, when I bell it, has a pronounced bulge in the case. I don't know the reason, and it does not happen with other brands, but it does with every FC case I try. I no longer attempt to reload Federal 32s, and if buying factory ammo, would buy someone else's if at all possible.

In rifle cartridges, Winchester brass is usually thinner. Thicker brass takes less powder to give you the same ballistics. In pistol cartridges, Starline is the thickest I've seen.

There's not really a "this is best, so buy it" brand, but there are a couple of "these are crap, so don't buy them" brands. Stay away - FAR FAR AWAY - from A-Merc ammo. Also sold as American Ammunition. If buying surplus 7.62 NATO, stay away from Indian ammo.

Nickel plated brass is pretty and shiny, but work-hardens quicker and fails sooner. If at all possible, stay away from it.
  4. mikld

mikld Active Member

When I get a "new to me" gun I'll run some factory ammo through it, and save the brass for reloading, just because. I mostly buy once fired brass anyway, especially my 45 ACP and .223.

http://oncefiredbrass.com/ This is one vendor I buy once fired brass from, there are several on line.
  5. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Well over years of shooting I have quite the collection of brass from once fired stuff, since I started reloading 5 years ago I havent had to buy any yet but I wont buy factory ammo anymore, if I can dins it I will buy once fired if not I will buy new cases and make my own,I load a lot of light 38's for plinking and havent had any problems so far. Have starting reloading 30 30 and have a bit of used brass for those, although I did buy a bag of winchester brass a couple of years ago.