The Firearms Forum banner

Cast Bullet Base Differences

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
Could someone explain what are the ballistic differences (if any) between double-ended (flat base?) and bevel base cast bullets.

#2 ·
"Most of the bevel base bullets were designed with a tapered base to make the bullets fall out of the mould easier on automated casting machines. Flat base bullets have a greater tendancy to stick in the mould". (coppied from) :http://www.thebullshooter.com/2008/10/cast-bullets--f.html

#3 ·
I checked with Matt Dardas on this issue and he claimed that it was mainly a matter of personal preference for the handloader. No difference in performance whatsoever.

Theoretically, with the beveled base, one would not need to expand the lip of the case as much.

#5 ·
I checked with Matt Dardas on this issue and he claimed that it was mainly a matter of personal preference for the handloader. No difference in performance whatsoever.

Theoretically, with the beveled base, one would not need to expand the lip of the case as much.
Thats it right there. And flat base bullets tend to shoot a little better from revolvers. I shoot flat base .452" 228 1R Lee bullets from my 1911s and they shoot identical to the .452 230 TC Lee bullets which is a bevel base. powder charge and seating depth are the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.