Cast bullets in my SKS

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by res45, Jan 22, 2010.

1. res45

res45 Member

I've been working on some cast bullets loads for my SKS rifles for a couple weeks using the Lee .312 160 gr.tumble lube gas check bullet. I finally settled on 12.5 grs. of Alliant 2400 the MAX load in the 7.62 x 39 case would be 15.0 grs. This load is very accurate in both my Chinese and Yugo SKS producing identical groups,no leading and cycles both rifles dropping the brass about 5' from my shooting position.

The Yugo shoots flatter than the standard Chinese SKS,a rear sight leaf adjustment of 400 meters is required to hit the same point of aim with the cast bullet as the factory 123 gr. ball would at a 100 meter rear sight setting. I used the same 400 meter setting on the Yugo and it shot high by several inches as the target shows so 200 or 300 meter setting is probably going to be more appropriate for the Yugo.

The TL GC bullets were cast from straight WW alloy and water quenched,lubed once with Lee Alox that has been thinned with mineral spirits 1 oz. to the 4 oz, bottle of Alox and allowed to dry overnight,gas checks were then seated with a Lee .314 sizing die with no sizing applied to the bullet. Then TL once more and allow to dry before loading.

5 shots 50 yds.

Attached Files:

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

niiice, finally looks like somebody figered out how to make an sks shoot good;)
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

NICE !! Never seen a 5 shot group that decent from an SKS at even 25 yrds ! :cool:
  4. cakes

cakes New Member

Nice work! For curiosity's sake, have you ever tried that bullet without the gas check?
  5. res45

res45 Member

Thanks Guys!! I'm not sure what all the fuss is about the SKS not shooting accurately,I've had excellent results with hand loads in both jacketed and now cast bullets. I think most of the accuracy problem come from the ammo used in them,the steel case X39 ammo just isn't consistent enough.

Most people that own SKS rifles I think are just interested in slinging lead down range and treat them more like a high caliber 22rf,stick any steel case ammo thats the cheapest at the time in the magazine blast away and wounder why they shoot all over the place. On rare occasions will any rifle shoot accurately with just any ammo you load in it,and once you change brand or lots you need to rezero you sights.

Wollyworm I'm posting the target I shot with my Chinese SKS using the same cast bullet load same at the same range as I did in the Yugo,I had only loaded enough rds. to shoot the two test groups I was shooting more as an accuracy test than POI,shooting cast bullets usually requires a pretty drastic sight adjustment which I can work on later once I have found the load I want to use. Here is an old post I did some years ago on hand loading for the SKS http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=30961.0

cakes I haven't tried any of the rifle bullets without the gas check I guess it possible they would work at the lower velocity and no cause a problem with leading the bore I'm also using the same bullet in my Mosin M44,my lead is all free so basically all I have in the bullets is the 2.5 cent gas check,the mold cost me $20 I made 500 bullets in a few hours so its already paid for itself a couple times over. As and old bullet caster friend of mine said why mess with something that works.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

res, you seem to have a couple of exceptions to the SKS family curse. Every SKS I have tested, and its been alot over the years, has done well to shoot 3 to 4 inch groups at 50 yds. with handloaded ammo. I will reinforce the steel case ammo as being plinker ammo at best though. Its crap, dont buy it and expect 1/2" groups at 5 yds let alone 50. It does its job if it goes off. You have done your rifles good and are getting rewarding results at the range with them. Enjoy.
  7. res45

res45 Member

Thanks JLA appreciate the kind words,I enjoy the challenge of taking a rifle and seeing how good I can make it shoot,both my SKS rifle are stock guns with only one exception a Techsight front post pin which is about half the dia. of the normal front sight post. They cost me $7 each shipped to the door,cheapest accuracy tuneup I've come across for the SKS. I believe the old slogan,aim small shoot small theory still holds water.

I give a lot of credit to my dad to for starting me out shooting when I was six years old,I've had a gun in my hand of some type ever since and I practice, practice,practice ever chance I get. Looking forward to when I can get back out in the big corn fields around here and do so some long range shooting and test out my loads.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

heck yeah, I think perhaps the most significant shortcoming cursing the SKS is the springy, rubbery 4 inch, 12 pound trigger pull... learning to overcome and properly control one of those is phenominal skill in itself;)