Cast Bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Haligan, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

If anyone casts their own bullets where do you guys like to size them. For instance
    38's and 357 mag. jacketed bullets are .357.
    9mm jacketed are .356
    45acp are .451

and so on.

Now I've been sizing .001-.002 larger than that. But I wanted some opinions on what has worked for you guys.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Haligan:

Rather than take advice from an unknown poster I suggest you get the Lyman "Pistol and Revolver: Reloading Handbook: Third Edition" Reloading Manual. It has a section on cast bullets as Lyman is probably one of the biggest suppliers of cast bullet molds and equipment in the marketplace. There are other books on the market that cover just casting bullets.

It is always better to trust the word of a published book rather than that of a random internet poster as the book publisher is responsible for the information he publishes while the poster is responsible for nothing, mostly because he is anonymous.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=277752&t=11082005

LDBennett
  3. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Hey LD,
    Oh, your very correct, however, I have that manual and that's where I got my info to begin with, I was just curious to hear what the TFF bunch might have to say on it. Actually I also have the Lyman manual specifically for cast bullets.
  4. doug66

doug66 New Member

A reply from a random internet poster:

Haligan,

I use Lee molds of the tumble lube variety. Wheel weight alloy, lubed with Lee liquid alox. Never sized any and for that matter never measured any. Have sent thousands down range.
    38/357
    44mag
    45ACP
  5. grandmasterbullets

grandmasterbullets New Member

I have been casting and selling bullets commercially for years and I can tell you what I sell the most of. 45's in .452 38s in .358 357,s in .357 9mm in .356 those are my big sellers. occasionally I will get a special order for 45 cal in .454. I am new here on TFF and one of the things I really like about this forum is people refer you to the books. That is the best advice I think you can get.