Cast Iron

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1LoneWolf75, Aug 11, 2012.

1. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Active Member

My wifes nice Paula Dean pans are startin to flake. So its bout time fer new pans. Thinkin bout goin back to cast iron. Better taste and heat. Bought my mother in law a set bout 5 yrs ago and got them back unused. Been fryin bacon in one and its fully cured now. Wife uses the 15 inch one fer chicken. Its heavy but man what good chicken. They were uncured brand new which I find odd these days but I perfer that so I can cure em the way I like it done. The store I bought em at closed down bout '05. Anyway does anyone know where I might be able to find new unseasoned cast iron? Thanks in advance.
  2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I googled "unseasoned cast iron" and a few websites came up.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I prefer to cook on cast iron. The wife doesn't because of the weight but if I had my way that is all I would use. One pan would last you your entire life time. And they make a good weapon. :D
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Theres a foundary here i get my stuff from

they export a lot.. good stuff , http://www.furphyfoundry.com.au the kitchen stuff is rebranded , i dont know the deal there , maybe they make for someone in the US ..??

but the camp ovens are the best ..
  5. hstout1143

Why would you want unseasoned? I know they have cast iron at Bluestem in Emporia if you ever go there.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  6. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

Caution Don't loan your Cast iron Cook ware!!!

The last hunting trip in Calif I loaned my cast iron Cooking set to a "GOOD Friend", he had been hunting with me several times. I always set up the kitchen and did most of the cooking. He helped with the cooking too, so he knew how I prized my cast iron pots, pans and dutch ovens. Well lets say they were returned CLEAN as in run through a dish washer several times, needless to say all of the seasoning was removed or destroyed. I did not find this out till I was packing for my first hunting trip in Idaho, as each was packed in heavy bags and wood boxes that I store and transport them in. I now don't return his phone calls and am glad that he lives 600 miles away, or lucky for him that he does... One of those pans I got from my Mother, it's over 70 years old...
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Like I said, they will last a lifetime. What a knucklehead.
  8. hstout1143

My wife washed the cast iron dutch oven that was my great grandmothers and jacked up the seasoning on, so I oiled it and stuck it in the oven for 14 hours. She knows not to use soap on it now.
  9. glens67

10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

used a mix of cast iron and teflon coated stuff growing up but it's 100% cast iron for us now. I live outta my dutch oven during hunting season...
  11. glens67

I hope that it is a big one....:D
  12. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I can almost fit inside! hahahhaa
  13. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

my wife has all kind of fancy smancy pans and does alright with them but when we have breakfast for dinner I insist I cook my own eggs in my own pan. I bought it used about 30 years ago at a yard sale, my eggs always come out perfect. and when my nephew moved in I sternly told him he would be homeless if he washed my pan. I even have my very own plastic flipper that no one else is allowed to use. the handle is broken but it works just fine.
  14. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

buy it at the flea market, clean it and season it . cheaper than buying new
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Academy sells both seasoned, and unseasoned cast iron cook ware. However, the stuff that is unseasoned is made in China! Get the seasoned stuff, scrub the heck out of it, then season it the way you want it done.