Cast vs jacketed powder charge difference

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by okyite, Jun 14, 2009.

1. okyite

okyite New Member

Hi
    Is there a general rule of thumb for using the same weight cast bullet as jacketed bullet in relation to the amount of powder.
    Ex. If load data calls for x amount of bullseye for a 200 gr fmj bullet, then how much bullseye would I use for a 200 gr rn cast bullet. I was wondering if jacket bullets generally use more powder or less than the same weight cast bullet.
    I hope this makes sense
    Thanks
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Go to the load data in the link, yes the charge will very, remember that cast bullets with out a gas check will lead the barrel if you get them too hot
    My rule is about 900 fps for cast and no gas check others my go a bit hotter

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
  3. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

General Rule of Thumb (for a new reloader) - Only use recipes from a trusted source.. Don't assume anything anyone tells you unless its backed up - 22WRF has it right, cross check the recipe through the link.

Then buy yourself a reloading book and stick to the min/max posted there until you have the experience to start working your own loads.
  4. stratmeister

stratmeister New Member

Good advice, buy a reloading book or 2. Cast bullets vary considerably from jacketed ones and even from plated ones.

The amount of powder and bullet profile, hardness, and lube will effect the pressure created in the chamber and can be greatly different, so I am not aware of any 'rule of thumb' except it will be less and start with a low load and build up slowly.