Casting 50 cal bullets, what works best?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by JimInMontana, Sep 6, 2009.

1. JimInMontana

JimInMontana New Member

I liked casting bullets for my 50 cal hawken, but I lost my mold. Was using a LEE model for conicals that was not supposed to need a patch, called the R.E.A.L. muzzleloader bullet, but it needed a patch of t-shirt material anyway to get the bullet tight. Was accurate, but the patch thing was a bummer. What has worked for you? My gun likes short conicals, not balls. Hit a standing doe in the head at 60 yards and it was game over. Thanks.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

If the projectile is under-size to the bore you need a patch. If it fits the bore well without a patch it is harder to load and fouling builds up quicker. I prefer a patch for accuracy and reducing bore fouling..
  3. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Patching is best but have you tried minnie balls. They are not actual ball but a conical bullet that has a hole in the base. It is made to go down the barrel easy but when fired the hole in the base of the bullet lets the lead flare out to grab the rifling of the barrel. Then there are the saboted bullets and power belt style bullets as well.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The problem I had with the REAL bullet was a too tight fit. This was so in all three of my rifles. When they fit right, they do scrub (most of) the fouling out with each shot.

I've been using the power belts and am happy with them Balls are more accurate, but the PB are accurate enough.

I havent used minnies, yet, so can't comment on them with MY rifles. I have shot minnies in somebody else's rifle and they were very accurate. Historically, they are a very good bullet. Up until this year, my state hasn't allowed saboted bullets for hunting, so I haven't tried them, either.

In casting ball, minnies or REAL, make sure you are using the softest lead you can get.

Pops