Casting bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DixieLandMan, Nov 8, 2011.

1. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I'm ready to start casting my own bullets and wondered what a good cast bullet reloading book would be. I see talk about Lyman's as well as Hornady. Anybody have a favorite book for casting bullets? I plan on casting for 9mm, .38/.357, .41 magnum and .45 ACP as well as .50 cal blackpowder.
  2. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

Lyman is what i started with many years ago.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Lyman. Absolutely and without a doubt, the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.
  4. The Duke

The Duke New Member

I dont always cast, my friend, but when I do cast, its Lyman.:D
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

lymans but get a old and new one ..

old ones have charts with common lead alloys like wheel weights etc

tell you how to adjust for them

modern PC versions dont and tell you to not use em and others
  6. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Lee is a book that i use as well as my lymans and hornady.
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Lymans cast bullet book all the way. I think there is a trend going here.
  8. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Ok. I will take this advice and wait until Monday to buy the Lyman's book. Thank you all. Any tips on getting good bullets other than practice, practice and practice some more? I will be using a Lee production pot with bottom pour.
  9. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I use the same one. I have two that I keep with different alloys. Loading for the handgun, as long as you keep the velocity below 1,000 fps, range lead and a bit of tin will do you fine. You need to cast from a hot mold but not too hot. Practice will determine the sweet spot for each mold. You can cast more than one bullet at a time and by alternating you can keep them at the nominal temperature. Usually five or six pours before the mold needs to cool off.

Looking at the bullet will tell you a lot about your technique. Too hot is as bad as too cold. Wrinkled bullets indicate your mold and/or your melt is too cold, and a frosted bullet is indicative of too hot for either or both. Be heardhearted about the quality of your finished bullets; just dump the bad ones back in for re-pouring. Some molds like to be filled while in contact with the pour spout, some like to have an inch or so of drop. It just takes some experimentation to find what is best.

Here's a group shot from my Sharps at 100 yards with a home cast bullet:

There are resources on the net you can look at as well, that can help you in your bullet casting. My experience is that pistol bullets are easier overall to achieve decent results than trying to cast for a rifle. All of the calibers you listed work well with a cast bullet.

I cast for the .45 acp and for the 45/70, and, with the former, my per loaded round cost is less than a .22 rimfire to shoot.

A good luber/sizer is recommended, but you can use Lee's tumble lubing stuff to achieve shootable bullets.

Be warned; it's addictive. Use in a well-ventilated area and wash your hands before eating or smoking. It's taken me 30 years to get a cast bullet to shoot really well in a rifle, so don't be surprised if you have indifferent accuracy when you start out.

Here's an example of a 100 yard group shot from my Sharps at 100 yards. It took four months and hundreds of rounds downrange to get decent results.

Attached Files: