Casting Flux?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by steve4102, Aug 26, 2012.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Sawdust for me as well. Stirred in with a hardwood dowel.

As far as sorting goes, I'm with Rusty. The almost pure stuk-ons are easy it's the zinc that can be a pain. It takes a lot more heat to melt zinc, steel or aluminum (which I've never seen). Just dump them in and scrape off the garbage that floats. But watch your temp, 650 ° is good.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Not just good Howln, but ideal 650-670 is the ideal range for making ingots. Lead and everything compatible melts at roughly 660 and below, Zinc melts considerably higher and will float in a 670 degree pot of molten lead alloy. But it is possible to melt your alloy too hot and the zinc will melt and alloy with your mix. Once melted in its there forever. All youll ever get is brittle frosty lookin bullets that wont fill the mold right.
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I'm smelting with a Dutch oven and a Turkey fryer. I do have a casting thermometer, but It might be tough for me to keep this bad boy at 600-650*.

I'll give it a try with known lead weights and see if I can control it. If I can, I'll just dump and skim..