Casting your own

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GraveYardMan56, May 17, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

thanks for the pics and commentary. very informative
  2. dbach

dbach Member

I cast for my Henry .38/.357. I also use these in pistols.
  3. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 New Member

I would also suggest you look at castboolits under their "paper patched" thread to learn probably more than you want about paper patching.

Paper patching a cast bullet is the process where you start with a bullet that is sized to bore and a trapezoidal paper patch is rolled twice around the bullet, sizing it to the groove diameter. If done properly, the paper patched bullet can be driven all the way up to full pressure jacketed velocities with similar accuracy. It is a bit labor intensive but you can derive some pretty good results using a bullet you built at home. There is no other way I know of that one could take a cast bullet up to 2,800 fps in a bottlenecked case, including the use of gas checks. Some rifles will lend themselves to this process but others may be more challenging or even impossible to get jacketed accuracy. (any really shallow-grooved rifling would be tough)

I pp for my Sharps using a 500 gr. cast bullet cast from ww and range lead, 50/50. I'm getting velocities approaching 1,600 fps and accuracy in the 2" range at 100 yards with a tang peep sight. NOT as good as I've gotten with jacketed and as-cast bullets, but still quite respectable and a whole heck of a lot more energy for hunting. There are some issues with lapping the barrel due to the abrasive nature of the paper, but I'm not sure how this would affect your rifles bore.

It might be worth a look if you are wanting to try cast in an -06.
  4. budman46

budman46 New Member

i've been loading a casting for over 40 years and wish some of the stuff available today was available then...progress made both much easier.

lee push-thru bullet sizers, liquid alox and aluminum moulds (lee's and others) really changed the game.

i shoot cast bullets in revolver, pistol and rifle up to 1800 fps with good results, saving much and getting satisfaction from being just a little more "off-the-grid".

if i were starting out, i'd secure a supply of old-fashioned, clip-on wheel weights, linotype and scrap lead via scrounging; paying prices i've seen, plus shipping, it wouldn't pay.
  5. soundguy

looking at some of the hi power rifle load date.. i see many fps starting int he 2k and going up. what are you doing for load date to get into the sub 2k on the larger rifle calibers?
  6. dbach

dbach Member

I cast .38/.357 124 grain, 158 grain semi wadcutters, round nose and hollow point. Ialos cast .40 flat nose. I mix my own alloy and enjoy the casting as much as the reloading.
  7. gary0529

gary0529 Member

Like many of the others here I, too, cast my bullets.
    Even the 30-06 and 308 can be driven up pretty quick if you use a good lube like Lars "Carnuba Red" from White Label Lube.
    Have gotten 150gr. range lead bullets close to 2300 with no leading probably could go faster but saw no need.
    Even buying the lead will give you much less expensive projectiles than buying the finished product or jacketed rounds-much less!
    Besides, like gd said, it seems to be the natural progression for the reloading afflicted.

Try it-you'll like it.
    And yes, go to Cast Boolits forum and Cast Bullets Association for lots and lots of good information.

Gary
  8. soundguy

very interesting, thanks for the comments.

you using gaschecks?
  9. X Ring

X Ring Member

I cast for 38/357, 44mag, 40S&W, 9mm, and 45ACP. I have for so many years I wouldn’t know how to load with anything else. :)