Catan <-- Highly Recommend!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

So anyone with some spare time on their hands, I highly recommend this game. I was first introduced to it on Xbox LIVE, and then lately have been playing the original board game. As both are now unavailable to me, I had to get my fix online. You can download the game for free from PlayCatan.com. The games online actually don't last too long. I'm not sure why (maybe its simply because you don't spend time trying to figure out which resources you get each turn or something like that), but maybe 30 minutes to an hour max. Board game, with 4+ players expect to take several hours.

I highly recommend the PC game, or even the board game. Awesome game, would be a great family game too, though I imagine you would have to be like at least 13 to really be able to handle it. Basically its a combination of monopoly, risk, and then a bunch of steroids maybe? :D

Basically there are resource tiles all over the board and you place settlements on them. Each time the number on that resource is rolled you get that resource. Your goal is to build roads so you can expand, and build more settlements, and upgrade your settlements into cities (at which point you get 2 resources for that number). The board game (and PC version, for a cost) includes expansions that put you in a world of islands, requiring you to travel the sea, and others that I haven't actually played yet :).

If you have the time to learn how to play it, I highly recommend you download it and give it a go!

(Picture is from the Xbox version, the free PC version doesn't look so fancy :().

[​IMG]
  2. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

What other XBOX games do you play? I like shooters mostly.
  3. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I have played the board version and I thought it was a lot of fun.
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I haven't played in a while because my Xbox died. I will be moving back home next week :eek: though and will play (probably a lot) on my brother's xbox. I'm not sure, I played a lot of CoD4, TF2, I used to play almost all the big games that came out (I get a free rental from Blockbuster every month so got to play A LOT of games). It will depend a lot on what my clan is playing, and I don't know since I haven't been on in a long time :(. Last I was on though they were playing a bunch of sport games which I'm not really into at all :cool:. (My gamertag is "USSR Vladimir", USSR is the clan [no I'm not a communist ;) nor are they, as far as I know, I joined to practice my Russian which is all they speak so I don't much about them haha :rolleyes:])

I believe Bionic Commando came out, which I was very excited for, and I have really been looking forward to Prototype since it was first announced, and that is coming out this month too :eek:!

If you add me I will add you as soon as I get on (sometimes I get on Xbox.com on PC to update friends and check messages and stuff).
  5. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

Ok I usually play on Friday evenings and sometimes during the weekdays but not much, lately I have been playing mostly GoW2 and am looking for war to MF2 coming out. Also Bioshock2 and Mass effect 2 look real good. I will send a FR but it may be a few days my GT is DUBL DUECE