Catch of the day

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by jacksonco, Nov 5, 2011.

1. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

This is the biggest fish that I have caught since my Dad passed away nearly 10 years ago. I did not fish much after he died, a lot had to do with taking care of my Mom who had cancer. But it looks like I'm back in the saddle, at least as far as today goes.

24 1/2" Ohio River Walleye caught at the Racine Locks and Dam from the Ohio bank. West Virginia owns the river along the WV/OH border but we let them Buckeyes fish in it anyhows

big fish and misc 009.jpg

I filleted it with my 7 yo grand-daughter and 5 yo grand-son paying very close attention to the going ons. I also had a couple small sauger (kinda like a walleye, in the same family) that I also filleted. They are gonna be floured up with some seasoned flour and pan fried. Some excellent eating there.

Fishing was a little slow as the water is still a little warm for thm. Another couple of weeks and the fishing should be spot on. My friend and I also caught several white bass and some small hybrid Srtipers but we don't keep them. He gave me the one sauger he caught and I had a sauger in addition to the walleye.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Nice fish.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

real nice well done and for showin the younguns where food REALLY comes from
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Nice walleye anywhere but especially nice caught in what Allen Eckert called That Dark and Bloody River.
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Good deal. Walleye out of rivers taste so much better than out of Erie. When I lived back east in Pa, I'd jig for walleye, fish several rivers in western Pa; boy I sure miss them. We have huge pike in the Yukon, 50 inchers are caught fairly regular seasonally in the sloughs. No reason there shouldn't be walleye here, but how it is. They just haven't migrated into our river systems yet.
  6. Chinook

Chinook New Member

They'll be there soon! Im sure. The Columbia Basin has been getting better, by leaps, and bounds every year since about 2000, or 2001!

Thats a great Walleye! We dont grow 'em that big on the west coast, but boy... Ya know how to make a guy jelous huh?!;) Great catch, and hope the grandkids enjoy'd the fish as much as I enjoy lookin at lunkers like that!
  7. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Retired. My wife of 32 plus years and I fish at the Pier in Jacksonville, Fl. once or twice a week, every week..love it.

Very nice catch.
  8. hunte567

hunte567 New Member

Nice catch
  9. vytoland

vytoland New Member

wow what did you use to catch that monster??
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

wow u can eat for a month
  11. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Nice walleye jackson, congrats!