Cattleman .44 Mag

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by foley0304, Jun 30, 2011.

1. foley0304

foley0304 New Member

I recently inherited a single action 6 shooter in .44 mag. I know nothing about hand guns and was hoping someone here might be able to help. The barrel says A. Uberti & C. Gardone V.T. Italy along the side, then Cattleman 44 Mag on the top. It has a hand stamped serial number underneath, as well as a hand stamped letter "M". The action is labeled Iver Johnson's, Fitchburg-Mass.-U.S.A. It has a matching number, also hand stamped in front of the trigger guard. I took it apart and there was a third hand stamped number on the inside of the grip, and it matches but leaves off the first number. Any one know anything about these guns that can maybe fill me in on when this gun was made, if they shoot worth a damn (havn't shot it yet), and if they're worth anything?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I don't know much about the value of guns, other than the sticker price. I don't collect, buy, or sell them. What I think I do know is that this is a copy of the Colt .45, made in Italy. Some of the cowboy shooters use them because they are reproductions of the famous Colt .45, and they are good guns. They do shoot well, and are very accurate. Can't tell you what it's worth, or when it was made, but others here can.
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Value is in the 400 dollar range. There's a date code, two letters in a box that will tell you when it was made.

[​IMG]
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That's what I get for thinking I know something, when I can't even read!
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Made in Italy, marketed by Iver Johnson from 1973-78. Hawg's valuation looks to be about on the nail - if it is in v.good+ or better condition for a fixed sight version (MAGNUM). Adjustable rear sight will add about $50 (aka Buckhorn Magnum).
  6. foley0304

foley0304 New Member

Thanks yall
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

foley,
    You're welcome - thanks for thanking. Come back again.