1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Cavalry against AFVs...and they said the Polish were STUPID.

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/9/01 6:49:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Cavalry against AFVs...and they said the Polish were STUPID.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ...maybe if the Polaks had RPGs that tactic would have worked back THEN...

Have you all seen the news reports and pictures of the Northern Alliance charging "Tanks and APCs" on HORSEBACK?

Actually, like we discussed in this forum a long time ago, Stalin was NOT stupid using 850,000 cavalry in WWII, and even long after the war...the cavalry STARTED in the steppes, stands to reason the "horse peoples" of antiquity would still be using them well...

The pictures look wierd, though, hundreds of Afghans charging with AK-47s and RPGs on their backs!

But it worked against the Russians ten years ago, too...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Xracer
    (11/9/01 10:01:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Cavalry against AFVs...and they said the Polish were STU
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yeah, but pity the poor bastards that have to walk in back of them in the victory parade!

warpig883
    (11/9/01 10:30:44 pm)
    Sound to me like they ar warriors with a cause. I would love to see that. Got a friend who is in his 90's, he tells some great stories of life in the Army with horses.
    custom signature

polishshooter
    (11/9/01 10:51:22 pm)
    You know, the Ethiopians (or was it the Chadians...) routed the Libyan T-55s and 62s with TOWs mounted on the back of Toyota Pick-ups..."Oh what a feeling..."

Now figure that Afghanistan definitely AIN'T Tank country...picture a couple of Afghans on horseback with RPGs charging quickly out of a holler with the column of AFVs strung out in a mountain pass, especially from the sides and back, and getting among them quickly...it might just be a pretty effective tactic...

If you see pictures of the Russian War, or even pictures today, you see whole columns of wrecked Russian tanks and BMPs...considering the mujahideen had NO air, and we only supplied them with Stingers in the way of modern stuff...they HAD to knock them all out with RPGs...maybe that's how they did it!

Plus, all the Taliban Armor has to be long in the teeth on maintenance, no spare parts, and little training, all of it is captured stuff at LEAST 10 years old...

I'd put my money on the horsies....
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 11/13/01 8:59:15 am

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/12/01 1:05:59 am)
    consider too that a horse doesn't need gasoline or spark plugs.
    some scrub grass and water will do.
    and riding on horseback beats walkin' (or running into combat).

WyomingSwede
    (11/12/01 4:25:29 pm)
    Mustangs will go up and over mountainsides that atvs and 4 wheelers can only gawk at. Makes sense and works for them....keep on doing it. After all why does the 10th Mountain Division train on skis when the army has all those heliachoppers.
    Horses will come when you call...try that with an ATV.
    Wyoming Swede

polishshooter
    (11/12/01 9:02:00 pm)
    Hey, TRIVIA! What was the last artillery piece adopted for the US Army designed to be used with Mules?

Xracer
    (11/12/01 10:13:36 pm)
    Wasn't there a "mountain howitzer" (75mm???) designed in WWII to be transported by pack mules? Used in the mountains of Italy, I believe.

polishshooter
    (11/13/01 9:05:08 am)
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking of when I posted it, the 75mm "Pack" Howitzer...changed to the "Airborne Howitzer" when "Pack" wasn't politically (militarily?) "correct." It was designed pre-wwII I believe...

But after I posted, I distinctly remember seeing pictures of different RCL Rifles on pack mules somewhere....but then again, they probably weren't designed for it.

Xracer
    (11/13/01 12:35:21 pm)
    I think I also remember those 75s being air-dropped to Merrill's Marauders (and perhaps others) in Burma.

As I recall, the first recoiless rifles (57mm????) were designed to be fired from jeeps.

I'm diggin' pretty far back into the atrophied brain cells here.......

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/13/01 12:36:09 pm)

Quote:
    But after I posted, I distinctly remember seeing pictures of different RCL Rifles on pack mules somewhere....but then again, they probably weren't designed for it.
    [\quote]

The rifles, or the mules?

polishshooter
    (11/13/01 7:25:55 pm)
    Geez, Rayra, what do you DO, STARE at other peoples dangling participles???

I meant "never intended," I guess...

I saw pictures of Gatlings mounted on camels before...now, how do I say THAT better so Rayra doesn't take it wrong....

Xracer
    (11/14/01 8:44:21 am)
    ...hope they were FEMALE camels!