CB/SSB Radio Use - I have a few questions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnnyFlake, Nov 12, 2012.

1. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

OZO,

Al I can say is OMG! I am seriously impressed!!!

Love the photos and I especially love seeing that SAA. It's not too clear in the photo but looks like a Ruger Bearcat .22 LR.

You are one crazy guy my friend!

I am still waiting for the radio I ordered and the antenna. The other stuff has already arrived. Since I ordered the stuff listed above, I also ordered another radio, based on research and speaking with a few people, with the belief that SSB is really where it's at, and a power supply. The radio is a Magnum 257 HP which I requested expanded, alined and tuned. The power supply is a Jetstream JTPS31MB - 4-16 Volt, 30 Amp Switching Power Supply.

Any comments or suggestions you have will be appreciated.

Would it be okay to come to you with any serious questions I may come up with?

Johnny
  2. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

OZO, I see you do it right, right down to the SWR meter.

When I was about 12 (1962-63) my uncle had an electronics business, when he closed it down and moved for a better job we got a TON of stuff from him, a small tractor, a crappy 61 Comet car -and- a whole lot of wire, insulators, our heavy duty tower and more.

I had two Astatic D-104 mics and took them to a hamfest to sell with other stuff, well some slickster got them from me for next to nothing.....I found out later what they were worth.

One hamfest my dad won a Hustler 4 BTV vertical antenna, nice for a vertical.
  3. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

" a crappy 61 Comet car -"---mjp28
    I would like to have that crappy car today.......
  4. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Yeah but not when you turn 16 in 1966....UGLY! Those wierd tail lights and no power.
  5. north tex

north tex Active Member

The Magnum radios have had their share of problems. Make very sure that you keep the antenna tuned to less than 1.5 VSWR to keep the finals from overheating. A couple of friends with Magnums have had to have final power transistors changed because they overheat and fail. One had his done 3 times before he finally dumped the radio. His antenna was checked repeatedly but it still failed.
  6. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to watch for that. Your comments are the first I have heard about that issue. I did a whole lots of research, and spoke with a number of people about that radio and that issue never came up.

Thanks again.
  7. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I swear with the old tube finals we didn't or rarely had that problem...way back when, when we also built stuff. I still have my old Heathkit DX-60 (or is it DX-90?) in my mom's cellar with my old Swan 350 (not built my me :) ).

High power SSB just pushed the old AM sets right off the airways.