CBS 60 Minutes SNAFU

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gunfyter, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

For those that didn't watch CBS 60 Minutes Wednesday evening, Dan Blather gleefully reported that CBS had uncovered four memos from 1972 reportedly showing then Lt. Bush in a bad way during his service in the Texas ANG. Lt. Bush was even reported to have disobeyed a direct order to get a flight physical. Last night, reports began to surface that the memos were most likely forgeries done in Times New Roman on Microsoft Word. I hope to see a very red faced Rather apologizing for the error and then maybe retiring. If this turns out to be the hoax that it appears to be, the Poodle will really look bad. For those who want to read the whole thing, www.boortz.com
  2. muley

muley New Member

Don't hold your breath waiting for an apology or even a correction of what Mr Rather said. You would have a better chance of seeing Diane Feinstein become president of the NRA.......

muley
  3. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

I haven't watched 60 minutes in years for just that reason!!!

Unfair and unbalanced and biased to boot!!!! :mad: :confused:
  4. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:D rightnation has a HUGE thread dedicated to this! LOL! :D the poodle's going down! :cool: heehee.....

i havent watched 60 minutes (of HELL!) in yrs! i got better things to do w/ my time.... :D
  5. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

Apparenrly, Dan Blather is going on TV to defend his story. The gist of his "evidence" is that there existed, in 1972, a typewriter that could produce the Superscript "th" and proportional spacing that the memos contain.

Dannyboy is likely going to gloss over the fact that a machine that could do that would have cost tens of thousands of dollars. Unlikely that a Light Colonel in an ANG unit would have one for composing regular correspondence. No, this was a sophisticated unit that would've required specialized training to operate.

Anybody here that was in a NG Admin office in the '70s? Ever see something like that?

Also--of some minor interest--the Brigadier Gen. (Staudt) who was supposedly pressuring Col. Killian to go easy on Lt. Bush, retired a year before the memo was supposedly written. Curiouser and curiouser.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=12534
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I heard today that the wife of the officer whose "notes" were released said her husband couldn't type. :D

Pops
  7. Icon-oclast

Icon-oclast New Member

And, Pops, the son said his father was a professional who did not keep official documents at home, much less bring them into retirement with himself as the Complete Bull Snot story alleged.

Hey, Dandy Dan has been lying through his teeth throughout his entire career. Remember the gun show feature he did maybe 15 - 20 years ago and the one on the "exploding" GM pickups which, when they didn't blow up on cue, were booby trapped with explosives and incendiaries. This crew writes their stories and then, if they cannot find footage to conform to their thesis, creates it out of thin air.

I loved how the CBS execs are yelling that the bloggers are doing a hatchet job on "a responsible news organization" which "vetted" the information through "an extensive system of checks and balances" . . . but they yet to produce a single expert who checked this stuff before it went on the air, where the bloggers have experts up the kazoo saying it is at best highly suspect.

Where they are dealing with copies of copies, I don't think anyone will ever be able to prove "beyond a shadow of a doubt" that these are forgeries, but 95% certainty seems to have been achieved already. The leftists at CBS will stand by Rather, but it simply reinforces their lack of credibility.

I'd rather visit a fertilizer plant than watch 60 Minutes - its the same product and at least factory doesn't pretend to be something it is not.
  8. whiteclouder

whiteclouder Member

Dan Rather saw what he wanted to see. Newsmen aren't supposed to do that and I posted a complaint to that effect on the CBS website. Best thing to do.

Clouder..
  9. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

"Dannyboy is likely going to gloss over the fact that a machine that could do that would have cost tens of thousands of dollars."

That typewriter was the IBM Selectric.....and while it was "state of the art" at the time it came out (1961), it cost far less than twice the price of the standard office typewriter.

"No, this was a sophisticated unit that would've required specialized training to operate."

Not really. Just a lighter touch than is required on an old mechanical typewriter.

http://www.fact-index.com/i/ib/ibm_selectric_typewriter.html

You can own a piece of history for only $19.95:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41816&item=3838340459&rd=1
  10. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

The typewriter that could perform ALL of the functions--proportional spacing, Superscript, kerning--was the IBM Selectric Composer. Still not capable of auto wrapping lines, it would have required printing a draft copy to figure out where to hit the manually activated carriage return. There was also a Metallic Tape Composer, but we are getting further and further away from a machine that would have been found in an ANG office. It was a relatively uncommon machine that could produce camera ready copy for a printshop. A regular Selectric could have created the Superscipt "th" but that would have required changing out the type ball for that specific detail. The common type of superscripting involved raising the letters--not making them smaller. This would require double-line spacing. Is all that something somebody would do for a "memo for record" that no other person would likely ever see?

The burden of proof is on CBS. They will not produce the "expert" who authenticated the documents. They will not (or cannot) produce the originals for independent analysis. They lied about the "people who saw the documents at the time they were written". Bobby Hodges says that CBS read the memo "over the phone" and told him they were "hand written notes". He said "I guess if [Killian] said it then he felt that way". The bottom line is that the odds of producing a document in 1972 or 1973 that would match up perfectly to a Microsoft Word document created in 2004, are far beyond astronomical. It is to laugh! That Dan Rather's daughter is reportedly working for the Kerry campaign, in Texas, with former Texas Lt. Gov. Ben (I got Bush into the Guard) Barnes, makes the whole story stink on ice.

link

link

link