CB's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 76Highboy, Jan 26, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Remember when CB's were popular? There was late night CB tag. It was fun having a home base. Now, they're rare. Does anyone still have an old Cobra CB around and use it? I have a home base (hasn't been hooked up for a while but will put it back up this spring)that I can run off of my power supply or I can run it off a car battery. I guess I am a little weird. How about you?
  2. Jesse17

Jesse17 Member

I use to always have one in my vehicles. As a matter of fact I do have one truck with one, but it doesn't work. I still have a box of that stuff overflowing out in my shop with 3 or 4 radios in it. Always had a base station growing up, but never set one up since.

The last time I had a working radio there was never anyone on it except the occational truck driver, but I remember when I was a kid all the people who were constantly monitoring and chit chatting. I'd like to get a good HAM set up even though I don't have a license. I would just like to listen once in a while and have it 'in case' but it's another hobby/project that I'll never get around to.
  3. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I have an old Cobra 32XLR in the basement and two really nice 5W walkie talkies with power supplies, mics, huge antennas, could use almost like a base unit.

Haven't used them in 30+ years, CB turned into garbage.
  4. geds

geds New Member

I was Blue Blaze! It was so cool to have them in our cars - we even got to help the cops search for one of their abducted officers who was kidnapped in a botched hold up at the A&P! They found him handcuffed to a tree a few hours later! I've never seen so many cop cars at one time all racing back and forth with blue lights flashing - passing one another, going in opposite directions.... then they enlisted the teens with CBs - so add another 30 cars with antennas - it was like a 70s episode of Keystone Cops!
  5. Jesse17

Jesse17 Member

I've been told that CBs are why California doesn't have mile markers any more, because people were telling each other there's a cop sitting at mile marker x.
  6. 76Highboy

Too funny. Now they can do that with cell phones.
  7. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

I still have all of my old equipment. A Cobra 2000 also a Yeasu FT101 10 and 11 meter tranciever. A few turner power mics +3 And a Super Sidekick. a few D104's. A 5/8 wave and a starduster omni directional antennas. A Moonraker 6 element directional beam and a Palomar 500 watt linear that will drive 1500 watts easy on side band.
  8. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Yeah 1 to 1 not 1 to everyone listening. CB in the 1970s was really nice, in the 1980s (in Ohio at least) a bunch of foul mouth punks took it over.

For emergencies now we use our cell not Ch. 9, too bad in a way.
  9. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I got a uniden in the pick up but seldom turn it on
  10. BradleyCole09

BradleyCole09 New Member

I got a 22 ch crystal and an old cobra 40 ch both car mounts. Two realistic ( radio shack) 40 ch 5 watt handheld. They take 12 aa each. 2 realistic 4 watt handheld . Every now And then I power them up mostly interference some chatter at night. Oh I got a general electric three channel I only have one set of crystals for it though ch13
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  11. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

KBW 4733, the Spider Bite for a radio check, come back. :cool:

A while back I was in the attic and came across my Royce 23 channel. I was real tempted to see if it still worked, but no antenna. And I also found my SWR meter.

and then there was......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3VN54M1OXA
  12. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I allways have one in my truck. Hardly use it. But it comes in handy during long trips to let you know when to get off the highway when its backed up.

I also keep a marine radio in the truck. When we are traveling to one of the camps we use that to talk truck to truck, boat to truck. We even use them for hunting with handhelds. fm is much cleaner. Just got to watch it when you get around the water not to aggravate marine traffic.
  13. 76Highboy

They can be handy in situations like that.
  14. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Those two realistic sound like my big 5W had held with the big battery packs, why I got 110v ps plus cigarette plug for on the road.

Long, long ago I had my wife carry it in her car for emergencies.

Oh crystals are very old, old tech, I remember using them in my very early ham sets.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  15. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Those modern and kind of cheap hand held walkie talkies are very handy if you're out camping, hunting, etc. especially with no cell coverage.

The new portable solar chargers are fantastic anong with solar/crank radio/light stuff.

Never can be too cautious!
  16. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

My handle was Moonpie. I used to have a base station, but I don't remember the make. I still have a couple of mobile sets out in the garage.
  17. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Talking about dragging up some memories! Back in the late 60's, and early 70's I had a Citi Fone SS 23 in the car, and a Johnson Viking Messenger Base, both tube type radios. Both driven by Palimar tube type linears. Used to shoot skip all night! My handle was 12ga, in honor of a man I knew that had that handle untill he died. A lot of the old tube type radios had crystals for each channel, and we did a lot of talking with the HAM operators, cause we could. A friend of mine was running 5K watts out of his home. Key the mike, and the light went dim!
  18. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Way back in the days of Tail Fins and tube radios we had fun. In 1958 I had a 57 Ford with a big Red Heath Kit 2 channel run off a surplus 102" whip on the rear bumper. I have not used a CB in years. There is an old single side band Cobra in the garage. I can't seem to junk it.:)
  19. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever New Member

I have a couple of NIB Cobras sitting for future use in some 4X4's waiting for their priority number to be called. I dont think I was even 8 years old yet when my dad paid the license fee so he could legally use CB's. I still remember grabbing the mike and calling out KGM-8153 base to mobile 1, come in mobile 1, over. I would call my dad when we was on his way home. Funny thing was he only worked 3 blocks from the house, but it seemed I was contacting someone on the moon...
  20. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Being that I'm in transportation, I do have several. A Uniden base, a Rogers 5 channel push button crystal, Galaxi Pluto, Connex 3300HP, Cobra 29 GTL and a Cobra 29 LTD. The base hasn't been hooked up in years and the mobile in my truck is rarely turned on, to much stupidity.