CCI Blazer Ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Jan 19, 2009.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Over the years I have had problems with cci primers. So have many other people I have talked with. Just wondering if anyone uses Blazer ammo and if they run into dud rounds? I don't use them so I can't forward an opinion. But I am considering purchasing some because of the $ factor. Before I did this I thought I would ask the forum what they thought.
  2. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

I've used them on occasion in my Firestar 9mm and I've never had a problem.
  3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Me either, but I don't buy lots of these, mostly .357 125 JHP.....Kirk
  4. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Primarily I buy them in 9mm Luger and have never had a problem in my
    Glock 19
  5. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Never had a problem with the 9mm, only complaint/observation is it does seem to dirty up my Beretta faster than other ammos.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

When I did use them, I never had a problem. I quit using them because they are so "dirty".

I personally have never had a problem with CCI primers
  7. Hunt SD

Hunt SD New Member

Very dirty and not desirable ammo for any 22 cal semi auto. I avoid them at all costs.
  8. vytoland

vytoland New Member

fired a couple 1000 rounds through my S&W 686-4pp..........never had a problem
  9. cycloneman

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. That's why I want this ammo and for the same gun.
  10. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

I have had one bad experience out of 1000's of rounds. I was shooting the .40S&W out of my USP, and it split the case just forward of the extractor groove. It wasn't split by pressure but appeared to have been melted. It spewed hot powder and metal on my hand and sleeve. Good thing I had long sleeves, gloves, and eye pro on. It was enough to cause me to spent the extra few $$'s on brass cased ammo.
  11. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

What kind of problems have you had with CCI primers? Just curious as I have used them without issues and would like to hear of issues.
  12. cycloneman

I started reloading some 20 years ago and used cci. I had duds in 9mm, 357 and 223's. I used to buy my supplies in Chalmette, La and met a local guy who reloaded. He intorduced me to a few others and it just became common knowledge that we all had problems with the cci's. I was turned on to federal's and my problems went away. I just now stay away from the cci's. They do have a harder surface. You'll be surprised, alot of people stay away from them. In fact I was looking for primers at the last gun show I went to and asked the local guy what he had for sale and he said " all I got are those hard cci's left". Some people swear by them but personally, I just stay away from them.

Check out this thread, this forum: CCI Primers

Some people have problems some don't
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  13. neilin

neilin New Member

I feel that CCI primers are a hard primer, and are prone to not ignite from a light hammer blow, especially from a tuned firearm. I had this problem with my .357 Python. The problem was cured by switching to Federal primers which I feel are softer. On the other hand, I have had no failures to ignite the CCI primers in the Ruger GP100 and numerous 1911 type .45 autos. Now, to get to the CCI Blazer ammo. I have used it in .25 cal. with aluminum cases and no problems whatsoever. On the other hand, I have used CCI Blazer Brass ammo, and encountered problems. Ignition was not a problem. The problem was failure to feed in a Springfield Armory 1911 .45 auto. I found the cause of the failure to feed to be the bullet pushing into the case, (when it hit the ramp), making the round too short. Possibly the problem is due to an improper crimp. I only fired one box (50 rounds) and had over 10 failures to feed due to the bullet pushing into the case. Needless to say, that is the last box of CCI Blazer Brass .45 auto ammo I will buy. I will stick to Winchester for my factory .45 auto ammo, which serves my gun well.
  14. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

I've shot thousands of rounds of 9mm aluminum cased blazer ammo without a problem. While waiting for my 45 acp dies to come in, I bought a box of 45 acp aluminum cased blazer and it was fine too. I noticed it had a smaller than normal primer.

The only problems I've heard of with blazer ammo had to do with problems feeding the aluminum ammo. Aluminum does not slide in and out of the steel chamber as well as brass does.

Andy
  15. doug66

doug66 New Member

I've never used any Blazer center fire ammo, but do prefer CCI primers. Tens of thousands of reloads and not a bad primer yet.