CCI CBs

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

z537z
    (3/11/03 6:32:56 pm)
    Reply CCI CBs
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bought a box (100) of these the other day. OUTSTANDING. They're quiet as hell (and much faster than the Aguila regular/super colibris) and rather accurate even at 50 yds. Curious, I yanked the top off of one of them to scope out the inside.

OK, they're getting over 700fps with about 1/4 of the case filled with primer and maybe some extra stuff (I dumped it out, I'm not sure what it all is). Haul ass 22's are getting about twice that with a full case.

Am I the only one who sees a mathematical potential for a 2500+fps .22LR round here? Price be damned.

Lemme know I'm talking out of my ass here.

_z

stuporman
    (3/11/03 11:16:43 pm)
    Reply Try the Aguila "Super Duper" Max Vel round...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am under the impression there is a case pressure restriction on .22 ammos.

The case is designed to expand a little to create a tight gas seal, so the case cannot be made too strong.

Therefore, you cant put a crapload of pressure in the shell to push a bullet that fast, cuz then youd be running risks of cracking the case and extraction problems.

That being said, however...One of the hottest .22lr loads I have seen is the Aguila Hyper Velocity (Super Max), .22 LR.

It pushes 1,750fps. Le Ouche, as the frenchies say.
    and, at www.22ammo.com its only $3.00 a box.

Good luck!

z537z
    (3/11/03 11:35:21 pm)
    Reply problem solved
    Depleted Uranium?
    I know the limitations of brass, but if perhaps a stronger, or more malleable case could be made. I mean, it won't expand too much, I don't think another 1000fps worth of powder would crack brass, would it? Perhaps a higher heat resistant brass?

That's it, I'm getting a patent.

_z

stuporman
    (3/12/03 10:04:34 am)
    Reply Other case metals...
    If you notice, some case manufacturers use other metals. Steel, nickel, I have even seen a copper alloy case.

Brass seems to be the most durable and malleable, with potential for reloading.

The design of the non-jacketed bullet of the .22 lr, with the bottom of the bullet smaller to fit in the case, also limits pressure. If you try to push it too much, the bullet may become deformed and you will get blow-by. (gasses coming around the bullet)

You want a high velocity .22....hmmmm?

Try a bolt or single shot with a long barrel...No gas leaks.
    get a really hot load such as CCI stinger or the Aguila "Super Duper" Velocity...Lots of powder
    Get a gunsmith to work the throat and head for minimal gas leak. He tunes it to work with the round.

There you go, as fast as you can get it.

My 2 cents.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/12/03 1:53:23 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Other case metals...
    How is the noise of those cb rounds compared to the Aguila Colibri?

z537z
    (3/12/03 5:00:49 pm)
    Reply thanks stuporman
    Very clear! Haha, yeah those Aguila ass-haulers are cool stuff.

Hadn't considered blowbys... Good point. Haha, someday I'll get that (Marlin?) bolt, tune it up and load in the get up and go rounds. Until then, it's Remington bulk for me

Warpig: I hear the Aguila Colibris are really, REALLY quiet. But the CB's are still so quiet you could use them to pop squirrels from your bathroom window while you sit on the toilet, and people next door would think you're snapping your fingers. Especially through a rifle. Pistol's a bit louder, but still quiet enough to pop varmints out back w/o anyone noticing. BB gun volume, I'd say.

I suggest you pick up a box (5$/100) and try it out! They're faster than the Aguilas too, so probably better suited to a more humane kill (I hear the colibris bounce off!), and more accurate.

_z

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/12/03 5:23:25 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: thanks stuporman
    I will try them. The Aguilas are quieter than my pellet gun but not much power.

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/13/03 2:33:05 am)
    Reply Re: aquila
    i've got some of the aquila SSS "pistol" ammo. yeah, it's pretty dang quiet. about a 3" drop at 10 yards, too. the problem with it is that the case length is kinda short, so auto loaders like my Ruger Mark II can only hold like 3 rounds in the magazine.

hey warpig, if you want a few boxes, lemme know and i can see if UPS will let me ship some to you. =) ... better e-mail me, as i don't look here as much as i should. ....

chris in sandy eggo

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/13/03 1:42:17 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: aquila
    I got a bunch of that stuff. Never had any problem filling the magaizines on my pistols or rifles with it. The overall length is the same as a regular 22lr.

You are talking about the 60gr SSS right?

stuporman
    (3/13/03 10:21:40 pm)
    Reply CB Caps...my experience...
    I shoot the CBs in long rifle all the time with my Ruger 10/22.

www.itsabouttime-la.com/Ruger2.jpg

I shoot a cardboard box with a phone book in it, and printed out targets from my computer.

They go about halfway, or a little less through the phone book, and more noise comes from impact on the box than the firing of the round.

I think the hammer makes more noise than the powder.

Not too accurate in a 20" barrel...
    When I did the mass/vel/accel tables, 10" was when the bullet stopped accelerating and started to flounder in the barrel. My extra 10" (gosh, I wish) seem to be a liability.

All in all, except having to work the action manually, they dont even jam or cause problems...and its fun to shoot through a crack in your sliding glass door from the bedroom when your kids are asleep in the next room.

Wife even likes to a little. I sure did luck out there.
    She busted me because I got a wild hair and loaded a round of CCI Green Tag to see how much louder it was in comparison. Loud enough to get my wife to get up during Law & Order to come see what the noise was. Instead of freaking out, she said "cool!" and we officialy opened our own private little shooting range.

Anyways, I can post the ballistics chart if yaull are interested...just tell me what range to sight in the round for point of impact.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/14/03 7:10:57 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: CB Caps...my experience...
    When shooting these low powered rounds out of a rifle it should be a bolt action so you can remove the bolt and look down the barrel to make sure the bullet actually exited the barrel. The danger of a round not exiting is the reason they are reccomended for pistol use only.

Trog777
    (3/14/03 3:09:06 pm)
    Reply Re: CB Caps...my experience...
    Hey stuporman, That phonebook deal wont work for us
    "tobacco road hillbillys." We can piss a hole through our thinass phonebook after a sixpack or two.

Jbobin
    (3/14/03 7:46:47 pm)
    Reply CCI Cbs
    All of this talk prompted me to place my first order at www.22ammo.com. These guys are cordial, service oriented and had some ammo that I just can't get here in the NW. I ordered:

CCI CB's
    Eley Sub Xtra
    Eley Target
    PMC Moderator Subsonic
    PMC Pistol Match

Any input on these? I will hit the range in the next few days. I will use the Buckmark and the Colt New Frontier. Both of these have almost opposite characteristics when it comes to ammo. Any input would be appreciated!!

JB

stuporman
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/14/03 9:14:44 pm)
    Reply LOL...Use two or three phonebooks then!
    You need about 5 inches of paper to be sure the lead wont penetrate. Use your back issues of Field and Stream?

Jbobin, yeah, I think those guys are cool too.

I like Aguila myself...Eley seems to be a bit "jammy" for me.
    Except Eley Tenex Ultimate. At $12 per box, that stuff better work! Shoots pretty good.

Two bits
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2003
  2. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

those aguilas are some very dirty bullets, i've had tons of fun til one of the supers jammed in my bolty... :0( but thier a bit louder than my 475fps pellet pistol, but i'd rather shhot the buckmark..but the noise is a bit louder, but the plain aguilas are a blast in the pistol, ya just hear what ya hit, same goes for the rifle..if you want to risk getting a super stuck in there..but neverever put the plain aguilas in it...heh guy at the shop said his son did it in his squrril gun...and didnt tell daddy...needless to say dude ended up buying a new gun after he got out of the hospital...
  3. warpig

warpig Guest

yeah, that is why they suggest only shooting them from a pistol. I am pretty careful they exit the bore before I chamber the second one when shooting the rifle.
  4. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

so are these CB's any different? i really havent heard much about them...cb shorts...long rifle...dop they not have any gunpowder...kinna along the lines of the aguilas?...
    :0/ cant get silencer...yet...YET, so options are open for me...any suggestions...cb longs or what??...
  5. z537z

z537z New Member

CB's are faster

Colibris run at about 375fps (You can get this from a good paintball gun)
    Super Colibris at about 575fps.

CB's (short and long, both use small amount of primer for propulsion) are about 725 fps. Also most expensive. They're no problem shooting from a rifle or pistol, we shot them from both all day with no problem. Like the CCI shotshell rounds, you got to operate the bolt manually with semiautos. They fit a nice pump really well if you got one :)

CB's are actually pretty darn accurate. We were pelting CD's (a note to everyone: If you're shooting your old, no longer usefull backup CDR's with .22's, don't count on breaking them. We had to get out the 12 guage bird shot for that...explosions of plastic away :cool: )

And they're damn quiet. You don't know what's going on the first time you fire it. Haha, if you think that recoil makes things more fun these aren't for you.

Have fun

_z
  6. stuporman

stuporman New Member

CB Longs

CCI CB's in long rifle feed perfectly in my stock ruger magazine.
    Which is actually pretty wierd, since nothing else does...

I got over the cycling problem by cutting 5 links off my stock recoil spring. Now I have the volq spring for normal loads, and my weakened stock spring for back yard shooting.

Never had one of these babies stick in the barrel, either.
    725 fps, has a little powder in it.

Oh, they are also substantially lighter than a regular 22 lr.
    29 gr vs 39 or so grains.

:cool: