CCI Dirty ammo ???

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

milmat1
    (1/10/03 4:52:20 pm)
    Reply CCI Dirty ammo ???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Has anyone had trouble with CCI MINI MAG ammo.
    I just sighted my 10/22 with the new simmons scope(to some disappointment), After about 100 rnds the gun is just full of residue. Looks like its been filled with dirty sand, I had three misfires and two jams. Is this typical of a ruger? It is a new gun with about 300 rnds gone through it. I hope the jams and misfires were caused by the dirty ammo, Make since???
    MATT

gram22
    (1/10/03 10:38:18 pm)
    Reply CCI is dirty ammuntion.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I use stingers sometimes art the range for extra power, they are very dirty, and not too accurate either. My good friend tells me any CCI ammunition will make his guns very dirty, and more prone to jamming. So far, I have found Federal to be the cleanest 'cheapie' ammuntion available. I have had the worst jamming problems with Remington hollow-points. They made my 10/22 factory mag get stuck, the rounds would not feed on the 4th or 5th shot. I cleaned it out with solvent, and have yet to test it out.

DudleyOutlaw
    (1/11/03 9:16:04 am)
    Reply Dirty Ammo
    Yeah some of the CCI ammo is dirty but I was wondering what you were doing with your 22? Hunting target practicing? I've used probably almost every type of ammo there is .And if you want a good not to expensive ammo CCI standard velocity is a good all around ammo Ive always got good groups out of it and even use it to hunt with from time to time.Hope this helps

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/11/03 4:08:51 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Dirty Ammo
    I shoot the heck out of it in my pistols and rifles with no problems.
    Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

milmat1
    (1/12/03 3:42:13 pm)
    Reply Re: Dirty Ammo
    Thanks guys, I am mainly target shooting out 50yds. at the present, Though i have been using this gun for blasting tree rats as well !!! MATT

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/12/03 8:34:58 pm)
    WOW, good to see so many "new" folks contributing. =) =) get some fresh blood and ideas in here.

i agree that the stingers and mini mags can stray pretty wildly at 25 yards. BUT the velocitors shoot real well. only problem i had with the velocitors is that they'd trip up on the feed ramp on my ruger mark ii and jam, refusing to chamber. i got like 4 of those out of a box of 50.

yeah, the std velocity, blazers, federal classic, and "match" ammo all shoot consistent.

chris insane diego

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/12/03 8:36:03 pm)
    oh, and to the point of this thread... i don't really think CCI is that much dirtier than other ammo. the blazers leave some sand looking stuff, but really... after a 100 or 200 rounds, any gun is going to be dirty.

f1psychofan
    (1/12/03 11:23:59 pm)
    I have to second what wsmc667 had to say, after that many shots .22 's are always filthy. As far as personal experince goes, I have always had good results with CCI Blazers and Mini-Mags, that includes feeding and accuracy (squirrels, cans, bottles, rats, etc...)

But to each his own, and some rifles just prefer a certain brand or bullet design over others. Best to experiment and choose your own personal favorite.

f1psychofan

NEtracker
    (1/13/03 10:59:03 am)
    CCI has not been any dirtier than other brands in my 22's.
    I get good results with CCI Stds in my 10/22, and have it sighted-in just for those.
    CCI mini-mags & Stingers work well in my P22.

JAFN
    (1/21/03 7:22:49 pm)
    Reply Dirty Ammo
    I would agree that CCI is pretty dirty stuff, but very accurate. I go through a lot of green tag and the thing that kills me is the wax build up from whatever they put on the tips of that stuff. After a couple reloads my Mark II clips like to gum up and not work.

JAFN

Mauser45
    (1/25/03 1:11:56 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Dirty Ammo
    I've always used CCI hollow points for squirrel hunting. Never had a problem with reliability or expansion. Don't think that they are dirtier than any other brand. I've always gotten very good accuracy from the CCI standard velocity. So far I've never gotten what I would call "accuracy" from the stingers.

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/25/03 2:10:41 am)
    I've never noticed any significant dirt with "jacketed" 22 of any brand.

Any bare lead bullet has been filthy though.
    --44 mag, when you're ready to get serious--

stuporman
    (2/17/03 9:32:01 pm)
    Reply My two bits, once again...does that make 4 bits or a dollar?
    I have tried alot of ammo in my 10/22.

CCI Stingers jammed more than fed. Dont know how dirty they are. Actually, in the bottom of the trash can I bet they are pretty dirty.

CCI regulars fed nice, shot nice...but the exposed lead did seem to rub off on everything. Barrel, feed ramp, action, etc.

CCI Green tag shot great, fed great...but that black stuff that proboably accounts for the good feeding did get thick after a few clips.

Winchester X Hollowpoints fed well, but their quality control seems slack...every third round seems to be dinged or bent on the lead. They are also in the trash.

Proboably the dirtiest round I have ever shot are Aguila SSS. I guess they got to put alot of powder in that short little case to push a 60 grain bullet to 1000 fps. Butt load of power for a subsonic, though.

All the "exotic" (Aguila, Eley, Lapua) sub-sonic hollow points I have fired shoot pretty good, but dont operate the action reliably. I guess I could shorten my recoil spring if I reaaaallly wanted to make that 100 yard shot with a hollow point...didnt fire enough to tell if they were overly dirty.

The cleanest, best shooting and feeding hollow point I have found are Aguila Standard Coated Hollow Points. They shoot as good as the CCI green tag, with a hollow point and 300 more fps. They blow apples apart at about 70 yards with no problem. No apple left in sight, except for some mushy skin.

The cleanest, best shooting solid I shoot are the Eley Tenex Supers or Match. They have a light grey coating on them that will leave traces on your ramp and clip..and some around your muzzle, but it does not seem to build up. Craps proboably platinum or silver at $12 per frikin box. But that $12 box can pretty much draw any picture you want at 100 yards.

My two bits, and many hours at and on the range.

Bill
    (2/17/03 10:39:41 pm)
    Reply CCI Dirty ammo ??
    Dirty...maybe...but
    Gun Digest 2003 has an extensive article about .22 ammo fired in about 4 different rifles and pistols.
    The 10/22 was one of its test rifles. If memory serves me correctly the CCI Blazer had the tightest groups at 50 yds followed by Winchester HV solid points. The article is worth a read. Bill
  2. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

Why the wax coatingthough? What does wax do to the end result. Or is it a coating for cartridge protection? All I know is is has created a hellava wax build up on my feedramp and chamber in my marlin.
  3. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

by the way i am refencing cci mimimag 022 lr ammo
  4. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

sorry "referencing"
  5. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild New Member

Mini-Mags seem to shoot cleanly in my 597 but Blazers do make a mess and create a thick wax coating.

However, these are by far the best bullets for this gun. I never have any jamming issues ever with the Mini-Mags and rarely with the Blazers.
  6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

you may have a gun that does not like CCI. Sory, I have seen but few. I would try running some stingers through it and see what does. Clean it and try again. Hey these things happen. And Ruger has been known to manufacture pickey guns.
  7. Spanky

Spanky New Member

The land of Sunshine, the best Citrus and the Most
    I started using cheap Federal load (550 round per bx)in my S&W 22 pistol and thought it was ok. I "upgraded" to the more expensive CCI and was disappointed. I often felt the powder blast back in my face and it didn't feed well. Same thing with my 10/22. Now the Federal is pretty good. Going to try some even cheaper Winchester (because it was all I could find) next weekend and will let you know.

w
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

This is a 6 year old post, but I will throw my 2 cents worth in. I find that CCI Blazer centerfire is the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot. The only bad thing I can say about the CCI Blazer .22 ammo is that it smokes a bunch.