CCI Primer Issue

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Freebore, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Just got back from the range today after tuning up a new Weatherby in .223 During this session I ran into a new problem I haven't actually seen before, out of approximately 100 rounds four of them experienced cracking on the side of the primer cup. In the past I've had primers puncture, crater, enlarge, and generally leak around the edges, but this is the first time I've seen them crack?. The load is 25g/4064/55g HPBT, sparked by CCI #450 Mag primers in new Winchester brass. This is a compressed load, but within pressure limits.

I will try the same load again using different primers ?...as for the Weatherby, she still grouped very nice, well within an inch (My Opinion of Accurate)
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Forgot the pics

Attached Files:

3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

wow i can't help u but someone will i am sure
  4. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Freebore...How old is that brass? Range pickup...?? Not looking down my snoot at range pickup, I got a lot of it....It appears to be slightly enlarged primer pockets, allowing some gas leakage around the primer...Maybe some brass that was fire too hot too many times...Primer isnt backed out or flattened, so no real sign of pressure...I think its gas leakage.
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

New brass, correct? I'm stumped.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Like anything made by humans, it could be a bad lot of CCI primers.I'd contact CCI.

I don't use CCI primers as years ago they were deemed to be made of "too thick" or "too hard" of a metal and gave problem seating them right, or so the story went at the time. I get deals on Winchester primers and have for decades so that is all I use. A magazine test years ago showed Winchester primers, in general, to be more energetic than other brands which keeps me using them today.

LDBennett
  7. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I'm going to go along with LD's comment regarding CCI primers, these were from an older lot, and during the seating process they seemed a little more difficult to seat (in new brass) than usual. I agree, Winchester's seem to be more user friendly.
  8. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Have you checked the bolt face for any damage?
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never seen that before! Is it the primers or is it a bad batch of brass?

The primers got the immediate blame, but did you consider that the brass could be the problem?
  10. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Could be brass, or primers...later on today I'll pull these cases apart and make a further determination...I still have a few unfired cases from this lot. I'll post additional pics

Weatherby's have an excellent way of handling case/primer ruptures, the bolt face fully encloses the case head, along w/gas ports and a fluted bolt body...other than dirty the bolt face is still like new.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Definitely loose primer pockets. Id toss the brass and get new.
  12. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I pulled the primers from the susupected cases today and found all of them to be the correct sizes. Both the new (old stock) and recently fired primers measured 0.175 while the primer pockets (before and after firing) measured in at 0.172 & 0.173 which is about normal. I suspect that the primers are the issue rather than the cases. One primer actually has a small hole in the edge of the cup.

Note: The rest of the primers from this old stock are currently soaking in WD-40 waiting for further disposition.
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I had a CCI primer (I know, I don't use CCI primers but that is all I can get for 50BMG) catch the edge of the primer pocket and get very slightly damaged while inserting. Of course stuff like this happens with any caliber and I just shot it anyway. This time the primer pocket leaked and took a small divot out of the bolt face. Now, this was my fault not CCI's but it gives a remarkable illustration of what 50,000 psi hot gases can do to steel. Sorry about the soft focus but I think it is clear enough to see the problem. Interestingly, the bad surface does not transfer to brass shot in the gun. I, of course, smoothed all the sharp edged as much as possible.

LDBennett

Attached Files:

14. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I'd blame it on the junky WW brass that's being sold these days. Elongated primer flash holes, irregular pockets etc. If you were to examine closely the relationship of the oblong flash hole to the leak point you might see a correlation.
  15. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

You have a defective primer. Pressure has nothing to do with it. Most times the bolt face is pock marked.