CCI 'Quick Shok' Ammo Performance Test...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ponycar17, May 17, 2009.

1. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I hope this doesn't get moved to the ammunition and reloading forum like my last post concerning rimfire ammo. No one really looks at that forum for rimfire ammo. :rolleyes:

I received some of the CCI Quick Shok 40 Gr. ammo on Friday and wanted to test it out as quickly as I could. I wasn't certain it would really segment into 3 sections, especially at only 1050 FPS. I took a Pepsi bottle out filled with water and shot it endways at 20 yards. The shot is low in the picture because I shot a lot closer than my rifle is set up for with my scope.

The shot was from a 10/22 with 18" Butler Creek bull barrel.

The results are pretty neat. The round essentially exploded upon impact. The pressure wave cracked the entry point area pretty good, and 3 segmented pieces were found on the inside of the bottle.

I haven't tested this stuff for accuracy yet but I will if I get some more rounds. I want to keep the few 40 Gr. rounds I have for a while and not shoot 'em up. I'd also like to try the 32 Gr. version of this round as I'm sure it's more explosive on impact at over 1600 FPS! :D

I'm sure this round would devastate small game. :)

Enjoy... :D
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Great thinking on using the soda bottle to retrieve the fragments. I do agree with you that it would do a number on small game but also on a human. I believe someone posted what would a 22 do to a human. I think clearly you can see this type of round would do damage to just about any type of some material. Great post! JUNK
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Pony, just curious, did you shoot a standard .22 to see the difference in the entry hole?
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

No, I didn't gdmoody. I have shot .22 hollowpoints into a bottle in a similar fashion and didn't notice the entry holes to be quite as large. I think the entry hole was larger on this round because almost all the energy was dissipated in a very short distance into the bottle. Since the bottle was full, the pressure wave generated by the round's expansion likely pushed the hole out to a bit larger diameter. The fragments sat at about the half-way point in the bottle so they didn't go far. :)