CCW Bulldog

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by BigZig, May 7, 2004.

1. BigZig

BigZig New Member

Anyone have any experience with the Charter Arms Bulldog 44 special? It is only 21 ozs and would be better for me to carry than my XD9 4" barrel. Are they pot metal or are they good?
  2. punchie

punchie Member

I rreally liked the original Bulldog by Charter in Stratford,CT. Sturdy and well built. Not real impressed with the quality of the new Charter 2000 company. Let's see now, 10 rounds of 9 or 5 rounds of 44 spec., your call. About all I will say is I have never felt under-gunned carrying a revolver :) .
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

It's a handful to shoot, BigZig....but the .44 Special cartridge is a great man-stopper.

It's fairly light, and concealable, and accurate enough at defensive ranges, but if you've never shot a large caliber snubbie, I'd say to shoot one before you buy.

I don't own one, but I've shot several of them.....I like 'em.
  4. txpete

txpete New Member

I bought a taurus titanium 45 colt snub for carry.very light very accurate.take a look at one before you pick up a bulldog 44 spec.I think you will find the taurus a better made gun.:)
    pete
  5. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

I know I'm a little late on this one but I own a bulldog and I enjoy shooting it. the first time I shot it the bulldog bit me, I had never shot one before and apprently I wasnt holding it tight enough and it pinched the web between the thumb and 1st finger.
    After that lesson It has never bitten me again( guess I learned quick) and I enjoy playing with it. I do use it for ccw as well as around the farm in the woods ect.
    one thing I did find out is the speed loaders for this gun are a pain in the a$$ they hug too close to the frame and are hard to get wiggled into place?!? I dont know if I have to break them in more or if this is a common problem.
  6. merc

merc New Member

I like that the bulldog is light.
    I can carry it on my belt without it pulling down my pants. (stop laughing)
    I like it in the small of my back---or in the invisable holster.
    Nice compact with some major punch.
  7. Bucky Bronco

Bucky Bronco New Member

A sweet piece is the early Taurus 44spl snub, which also came with a bobbed hammer. More comfortable to shoot than the Bulldog IMHO, but they both were designed to be often carried and shot little (that's not counting pratice). I have a stainless carried in a Triple-K inside the pants holster. Likey it's $100 more than a Bulldog; however, the Bulldog does the job, not made of pot metal and is safe to shoot. Buy what you can afford and stay free! ;)
    Bucky Bronco
    SASS# 33165
    [​IMG]
  8. offeror

offeror New Member

I've had Bulldog Pug .44s and I love 'em. I'm sorry I sold the first one because it was a nice shiney Charter Arms model; it was either stainless or nickel plate, not sure. I got another a couple years ago and while it was as good in terms of quality the matte finish didn't appeal to me and I let it go. I'm now keeping my eyes open at gun shows for another Pug (always with the pocket hammer). Yes, they're only 21 oz. and only 5 rounds, but they are small framed, and the grips are smaller than Pachmayr's Compaqs, making the gun fit a front jeans pocket.

Shooting one of these will get to the web of one's hand after a bit, but you would never notice it in a fight.

I wonder whether the pocket hammer is quite heavy enough, since you can get a rare misfire with it, but other than that, and maybe a frame screw that needs a drop of Locktite, these are excellent gun values, dollar for dollar. The next one I get will be a keeper.
  9. frosty

frosty New Member

I have a .44 spl Bulldog Pup in matte stainless. It is a very well built gun. I have run .44 russians loaded with 247 grn slugs through it with out a problem. It has some kick but the little gun is tough and reliable.

Offeror is right, it is a front jeans pocket gun. I use that way alot. for concealed carry I load it with 185 grn hollow points. It is very accurate and controlable. The .44 russian loads with the 247 grn lead bullets is LOUD and has alot of kick. The companies new name is Charter 2000. All of their pistols are CNC machined.

I had a Taurus model 445 in .44 spl with the bobbed hammer. It would fire one round and when the cylinder was rotated the hammer would strike the next round to light. I took it to a gun smith and he said that the best way to adjust the hammer was to add shims under the hammer spring to bring the poundage up for the hammer strike. He told me to see if I could get my money back. I did get my money back and bought the Bulldog. I am much happier.

I would get another Bulldog Pug if I had the chance. You cant go wrong with them. It is a tough little tank. By the way the gun has no side plates, so the frame is one solid piece of steel, very tough.
  10. stetson

stetson New Member

I have an old charter house bulldog 44 special.It has been a reliable
    revolver that I have enjoyed shooting.I would use this as a carry
    piece without hesitation!