CCW carry options

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Pistolenschutze, Sep 7, 2007.

?

Best carry rig

1. On-the-belt holster

25 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Paddle rig

11 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Inside the Waistband

45 vote(s)
    48.4%
  4. Angle rig or other

12 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Many of us here on TFF (perhaps even the majority!) are licensed to carry a concealed weapon in our respective states, at least in those states where the 2nd Amendment is still recognized. We've talked often about what the best firearm to carry might be (which is a Glock or Sig, of course! ;) ), but I don't think we have ever done a poll on what type of leather to carry it in might be. I'm talking here about styles of concealed carry. Do you prefer an on-the-belt holster, a paddle rig, an ankle holster, an IWB, or some other means of concealment, and why?

For me it's a paddle rig, mostly because I find it so much more convenient. Due to my profession and lifestyle, I generally must put on and take off my weapon several times a day, and frankly it's a hassle to take my belt lose everytime I need to do that! Granted, a paddle holster must be of very high quality and stable to be a good option, but the Kramer MSPs I have satisfy that requirement very nicely. Occasionally, I will use an IWB if clothing or other factors make outside carry impractical, but usually it's a paddle. How say you?
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I carry a paddle rig the most of the time.
  3. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Guess I'll have to go with the paddle (on the belt) as well.
    It's easy to cover up, and easy to get to in case it's needed.
    I also take stock in muscle memory, that is where my hand would naturally go, should I "feel the need."

Now lets talk about leather vs kydex.........
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

May I fain stupidity for a moment and ask for a definition of an angle rig? Inquisitive minds would really like to know about this. :rolleyes:

I won't answer the poll since I have the perfect method for me. I carry my portable heater in my portable oxygen case, which serves much the same purpose for me as a lady's purse does for the gentler sex. :)

Back when I was working in the courthouse daily, I carried on the belt with a back up on the anKle, for about 33 years.

Before I was on Oxygen 24/7/365 and I was required to carry it with me every time I left the house, I had a specially designed butt pak that served both for carry and a catch all for things like checkbook, wallet, badge case and other junk.
  5. Picky, picky. Marlin, if I could spell, I would be dangerous! :D

OK, OK, rub it in, but no more lemon Krispy Kremes for you, Marlin. :D ;)
  6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

I use my pocket.....
    Bill
  7. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

IWB's bug the hell out of me, mine is either in the front pocket or high side right.
  8. Generally speaking, they do that to me as well, Angel. I did find one though that is quite comfortable with a small revolver or auto. It's the Bianchi Model 101 Professional, and strangely enough, it is also one of the least expensive. It's just a simple, non-molded, leather pancake holster with a steel clip that attaches it to your waistband, and belt if you're wearing one. This one doesn't feel like you're toting around a piece of abrasive concrete in your pants, and it conceals very nicely.
  9. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I may try that, I have a hard to fit pistol for CCW, 3" barrel First Gen Dick Special. and noone makes High side holsters for them....

I'd just hate for my pants to fall down as I draw, I'd prolly have to shoot all the witnesses out of embarrassment.
  10. ruger22com

ruger22com New Member

None of the above. I use an uncle mikes inside the waist rig, only I clip it to the inside of my right jeans pocket...here is an older pic of a .38, I now carry a 4" .357 7 shot tracker the same way with the same effect.
    Before:
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]
  11. durk

durk New Member

Did we ever get a specification on angle rig? I use a high ride belt holster that has a slight forward cant to it.
  12. BillP

BillP New Member

Just an interesting side note. Years ago there was a magazine called "Police Product News". They asked readers where they carried their off duty gun? I think that inside waistband holster was the most popular. The second most popular was "in my wife's purse". Things have tightened up a lot since then and comfortable carry rigs are easy to come by now. It did however give me a laugh because I did the same:rolleyes:
  13. obxned

obxned New Member

P3AT using the belt clip is what I carry the most. In cool weather when I wear a jacket I often carry a .45 in an IWB holster, but sometimes I us a pancake holster instead.
  14. Bravo1

Bravo1 New Member

it really al comes down to what you are comfortable with me its the IWB, but i work with a few guys who only carry strong side waist band, in the summer i cant stand the heat so i dress in as little clothing as possible unless working i wear a suit and tie all day. but when i'm home with the familiy out shopping or just hanging out i have shorts t-shirt and an undershirt so IWB is in my opinion the best way to carry.
  15. FranklyTodd

FranklyTodd New Member

Pocket (with DeSantis Nemesis) most of the time; paddle if attire allows... Voted "other" because pocket is bigger percentage of time...
  16. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

I actually have a vest from 411 that I use for carry. I am sure you guys have seen them, they look like a fisherman's vest but is has secret pockets on the side for concealed carry. It is definately not fashionable but it is confortable. If I am fashion conscious I will carry with a holster inside my right pocket with a large shirt over it.
  17. obxned

obxned New Member

OTHER:

Inside the waistband on a belt clip. This is the best carry for me and my P3AT.
  18. FranklyTodd

FranklyTodd New Member

obxnet - is that condition 1 or 3? Not passing any judgment - just curious as I'm off to buy a P3AT later today and considering my carry options. The G27 in a pocket holster is fun, but not a serious option very often! My plan was pocket carry for the KT in a DeSantis Nemesis.
  19. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

Mostly with my Kel-Tec P3 it's in my pocket, no holster no nothing. Or in my coat pocket the same way.

Most of the Cargo pants, either short or long, from Old Navy have a neat little pocket in the right pocket. It's sewn in the front bottom on the inside of the pocket (like a pocket within a pocket) and the nose of that .380 fits right in there slicker 'n' snot! It wont move for love nor money. I am sure they didn't design it for that, it's for change or looks or something else I'm sure but, it works great! :D

If I go bike riding (thats peddle bike) I stuff my Kahr CW40 in my Camelbak. The model I have is for law enforcement and has a compartment that you can reach from the back without taking it off, really handy.
  20. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

CZ 75 Compact in either 9mm or 40 S&W. Carried IWB and at 9 o'clock as a cross draw. Comfortable and easy to draw/present the weapon.