CCW carry options

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Pistolenschutze, Sep 7, 2007.

?

Best carry rig

1. On-the-belt holster

25 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Paddle rig

11 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Inside the Waistband

45 vote(s)
    48.4%
  4. Angle rig or other

12 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. cohoskip

cohoskip New Member

Summer: Chimacum, WA; Winter: Casa Grande, AZ
    Crossbreed SOB (No, that means small of the back :))
  2. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

No one carries shoulder holster these days? I have put a lot of thought into what I intend to do, still no answer. I'm a big guy, not sure what tends to be the most comfortable, but figured shoulder would be one of them.
  3. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Vladimir, I had thought about the shoulder as well, I too am over my limit, but that is the reason that I stayed away from shoulder holsters. When I was lean, I used to use them, but now I never wear a coat and if I do it is only outside. I do however have some rather large shirts which help me greatly with my pancake holster. I prefer the pancake to the paddle. I understand that the paddle is easy to remove, but I don't remove my pancake, I just remove my firearm. My holster stays on me all of the time. Now being the size that I am and the shirts that I have to wear, this is not a problem.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

So I'm getting this idea, though I wonder if it is so great why it hasn't been done (or it was and just never caught on), but then again I'm sure people have said that before... anyway... I'm picturing a basic loop of heavy-duty nylon or something, velcro or snap or whatever, and essentially the barrel goes into that (not sure if that alone would be enough to secure it).

The loop has belt slits and you essentially wear the barrel right on your belt, grip pointed up. It would be easy to rotate the grip around our "spillover" for total comfort, would be quick draw, and assuming your shirt hung an inch longer than your belt it would be concealed...

Two problems I see off the bat. A) Though misfires shouldn't happen, prepare for anything, pointing the gun straight/backwards (vs. down) could spell trouble if it went off accidentally. That being said, shoulder holsters go horizontal similarly, and a slight cant might make the biggest risk shooting someone in the foot (in the event of an accidental discharge).

B) The loop thing might not be so simple, unlike a pistol our waists aren't straight, so there might need to be something to compensate for the curve of the waist.

I dunno, I was going to sketch it up in photoshop and see how it looked. My best bet is probably to just wait till I get my pistol in March, I'll have 30 days before I can CCW, so plenty of time to work out a holster solution. It will be easier to visualize holding a real gun too, instead of holding a remote up to my belt to see how it would work :p
  5. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

My favorite is my Ross belt slide holster. I usually center on my back, still easy to access and a little more comfortable to walk around with. My job in the construction industry takes me to job sites that are let's say in badder parts of town. Normally when I travel my gun is between the seat and center console where I can get at it easy. When I get out at a job site it's easy to slip in the holster and pull the back of my shirt out to conceal. Get some strange looks at offices when I walk in with an empty holster, but I alway lock in the truck when I stop at an office. I have a shoulder rig but I only use it when I'm in the woods.
  6. Brian@ITC

Brian@ITC New Member

I carry IWB most of the time at the 4 o'clock position. The reason for this is first of all for concealment purposes. I feel this is the best place to be able to conceal your gun the best. Carrying at 3 o’clock IMHO is not the best way to carry because you cannot easily access your gun with the other hand easily without doing some sort of weird gun manipulations. By the time you do all that, the fight could be over. When carrying at the 4 o’clock position (the right side of the back right pocket) I can easily reach my gun from behind with my other hand without having to manipulate the gun.

If you carry at 5 or 6 o’ clock and you fall (it CAN happen) you are in for serious trouble because landing on your gun can take you out of the fight. And, if you get in a grappling situation you cannot defend the 5/6 o’ clock positions if someone comes up from behind. Guess what, they now have your gun!

I prefer kydex over leather or nylon. I like the quick smooth draw of my Blade-Tech.

Waistband carry is in my opinion the best carry mode. Ankle carry is not effective in heat of the moment because by the time you reach down to get your gun, you may be done.

Train hard, train often, and train REALISTICALLY!!!
    Modern Warrior Talk
    "High Impact Training"
    “Serious tactics for serious situations!”
    Check our Advanced Pistol Fighting Course out in the April 2008 issue of SWAT Magazine! The article is titled Unarmed and Armed Combatives
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

+1

An SP101 in a Simply Rugged Pocket Protector or on the belt with a Silver Dollar Pancake.
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I carry my USP compact 9mm, IWB with a Desantis Pro Stealth (no cant) and added retention strap. I find the only occasional discomfort is from the thumb strap jabbing into my side (I'm what the non-PC would call fat). The button/snap on the strap is reinforced with like an inch of steel so you can get an easy break, and that creates an occasional discomfort.

Carried to Mother's Day Brunch on Sunday and no one noticed, I asked my mom if she would laminate my CCP (she is a pre-school teacher) and she asked where I keep my gun, I lifted up my sweater and she got pretty pissed (she is not very gun friendly).

I even seem to keep it on while lounging on the couch watching movies/playing video games without a problem- which is a definite plus and not something I expected. The Pro Stealth is great too as I can take it on and off with little issue, don't have to remove the belt or anything. IIRC you could even move the belt clip to the other side (it's ambi) and wear it OWB, I haven't tried yet though.

Oh and anyone wanting a retention strap (there's a thread about that and why I chose retention strap as a necessity) the velcro-removable strap for the pro stealth works 100% (I was worried being removable it would simply get pulled off in a struggle).

EDIT: Oh and as far as concealment goes. If we are talking absolute complete concealment I would trust it with any sweater or sweatshirt/jacket etc. I have a couple shorter button up shirts, it rides nice and low and like any IWB all you can see is above the pants- but for me it seems a lot of my shirts would risk exposing if I were to reach real high or such. I worry a little more about that here in Seattle, but back in Spokane I won't be concerned at all.

All that being said a USP compact isn't that compact so the fact I can conceal it this well should be considered as a definite "job well done".

---

Initially the Pro Stealth was supposed to just be a time-killer for me, something cheap that would also hopefully show me what I wanted (whether I wanted IWB, yes/no cant, etc), but in the end I got something that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. When I get my credit card taken care of I will probably try out another holster or two to be safe, and I do still want to try a shoulder rig.

For $60 (+$12 for the retention strap) I am very pleased!
  9. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

My 2c.
    Wherever you carry it, try to keep it the same as much as possible. I always carried IWB just behind the right hip, and practised from there regularly. One day I went to draw it, pulled back on the jacket, went for the grip, and it wasn't there. I was trying a cross draw that day. You know that feeling when you have had a couple too many slices of birthday cake? That's the one. Had it been a 'hot' situation I might have lost it that day.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008
  10. CL01

CL01 New Member

Usually IWB (I prefer appendix carry @ 1:00). However, if I decide to carry my "little" gun (A Kel-Tec P-32, like to the corner "Stop & Rob"), then it's pocket carry.
  11. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I'm 5'11" and 340 lbs. I carry a 5" 1911 in a rightside Bianchi leather paddle rig. With a 5X Tee I'm fine.
  12. PX4Storm

PX4Storm New Member

I wear a Blade-Tec paddle holster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the way the holster holds the gun close to my side. I had some cheap holsters where the gun flops away from my side so it's worth spending the money to get a holster made for your gun! The paddle spreads the weight of the gun so you don't even know your wearing it.
  13. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I used to favour an IWB holster, and got through a few. Then I got married and had to change to a belt holster in what I think used to be called FBI slant?

Why the change? don't laugh. My pants used to be an inch or so too big, to allow for the holster and mags. My wife decided that was no good as they were forever moving south when not carrying. (These were the days before everyone armed seem to wear Cargo Pants).
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2008
  14. troutwest66

troutwest66 New Member

I carry my Taurus 1911 IWB with my new Milt Sparks Summer Special. I can wear hiking shorts with an untucked T-shirt and be good to go if the shirt isn't too tight. I didn't like the the gun against my skin and I actually started some rust I promptly cleaned off around the grip so I bought some thin tank top undershirts. This seems to work so far but I'm not sure in the warmest weather but I guess I'd be sweating like Clinton and Obama at an NRA convention anyway. I do have to say carrying two 8 round mags in a DeSantis mag pouch on the opposite side helps balance things out and make the whole system more comfortable.
  15. D.C.

D.C. New Member

First off, hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I use an IWB most of the time since Florida is a conceal only state (which sucks). I have an Uncle Mike's polyurethane IWB and a leather one that I made that sits a little lower than most holsters. I have pretty broad shoulders so it's easy for me to hide my Ruger KP90 .45. Of course when I'm at work I sometimes use a leather holster for the issued .38 we carry.
  16. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We

I generally use a holster with slots for OWB on-the-belt use. I also have an occupation that requires that I divest myself of guns and bullets (though where I go, at least the place is crawling with armed deputy sheriffs or U.S. deputy marshalls, whereas the academic environment strikes me as a terrific opportunity for those who like to shoot fish in a barrel).

But I just pull the gun out of the holster and leave the holster on. Those who notice the bulge and ask about it are satisfied when they see there's "nobody home". One time not too long ago, however, I was going into the Virginia Supreme Court in Richmond that way, and the Va. State Troopers on duty made comments about the empty holster; I suppose they thought at first it was some form of protest. But I pointed out I'm not allowed to carry guns in the courthouse, and I'm relying totally on those guys to protect me. They liked that answer.
  17. 45nut

45nut New Member

I carry my RIA .45 and Taurus P-140 in an IWB at about 3:30. I use the cheapo Bianchi that Pistol mentioned for my 1911 and an Uncle MIke's for the P-140. The Bianchi came with a thumb break retention strap that I cut off and saved as it made the rig very uncomfortable. Besides, the tension of my belt keeps the guns secure.

I have a Galco slide through rig for my 1911 that I like a lot, but I need a longer shirt tail to cover it, so it's limited to winter use which is kinda short in Texas! :D

My Kel-Tec P-9 rides in my right front pocket.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009