CCW for non-residents

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Gunfyter, May 2, 2003.

1. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Sadly, there are still a number of states that do not recognize the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. I have spent most of my life in the PRMD where personal protection is frowned upon. On another board I was able to get a copy of an Excel spreadsheet that shows states where you can get a non-resident CCW that if done completely will allow you to carry in 26 states. Whether or not you ever go to these states is not the question, what is important is that you will have written proof of right-to-carry that you can shove under the noses of your state legislature. It may or may not work but at least you will have given them something to think about. I take no credit other than to provdie this file for your reading pleasure. Look carefully because the lines don't line up correctly. Any questions, PM me and I'll shoot the Excell file to you.

State Non-Resident Permit Valid In Notes

CONNECTICUT Alaska Call the CT Department of Public Safety Special Licensing and Firearms Unit at 860-685-8494
    Idaho and tell them that you need the forms to apply for a non-resident permit to carry pistols and
    Indiana revolvers. For CT you will need to send Xerox copies of your "proof of training"
    Kentucky (an NRA Basic Pistol Course certificate is fine), your NJ Drivers License, and copies of
    Montana other states permits to carry. They will send you everything you need to complete and return.
    Utah For CT you will have to have another state permit before you can apply. Everything can be done
    through the mail.

FLORIDA Alabama The most widely accepted permit in the country. You will need the same documents
    Alaska as you do in CT except you do not need another state permit to apply in FL. If you go to
    Arkansas http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/forms.html you can fill out a request on-line to get the
    Georgia forms mailed to you. Everything can be done through the mail.
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    Montana
    North Dakota
    Pennsylvania
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Wyoming

MAINE Alaska Probably one of the easiest permits to get. However, while you do not need to submit
    Idaho fingerprints, you do need the same "proof of training" and a copy of your birth certificate.
    Indiana Call the State of ME Department of Public Safety at 207-624-8775 and tell them you need
    Kentucky the forms for as non-resident permit to carry concealed firearms. They will mail you what you
    Utah need. Everything can be done through the mail.

UTAH Alabama UT is an interesting one. In addition to completing the required forms, you need an instructor
    Alaska certified in UT to sign your form. If you contact Jason Schafer, in Easton, PA, at
    Arizona js1050@yahoo.com he can help you as he is a certified NRA and State of UT instructor.
    Arkansas Since he is also an NRA instructor he can also give you the NRA Basic Pistol Course you
    Idaho will need for CT, FL & ME as well. You will also need two letters of recommendation
    Indiana attesting to your fitness to carry a concealed firearm. You can download the application at
    Kentucky http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPHome.html Everything can be through the mail.
    Montana
    Oklahoma
    South Dakota
    Virginia
    Wyoming

WASHINGTON Alaska A very easy one to get, however, you need to go to the state of WA to fill out the application.
    Idaho If you are ever there, stop by any Sheriff's Department. (The Pierce County Sheriff's office in
    Indiana Tacoma is very cooperative). The whole process take approximately 20 minutes and they will
    Kentucky mail you your permit in about 2 weeks.
    Montana
    Utah
    Virginia

NEVADA Alaska Like WA, you must go to the state to apply. But unlike WA, you must be trained in NV by an
    Idaho NV instructor on the firearm you plan on carrying. If interested, contact Jim Mayhugh at
    Indiana jimmayhugh@lvcablemodem.com Jim is a certified NV instructor who can walk you through the
    Kentucky process. He lives near Las Vegas.
    Montana
    Utah

ARIZONA Alaska Same as NV. You must be trained a minimum of 16 hours within the boarders of AZ.
    Arkansas You can contact the Gunshine Shooting Academy in Goodyear, AZ at
    Idaho http://arizona.speedchoice.com/~gunshine/. They can give you all the training you need to qualify.
    Indiana
    Kentucky
    Montana
    Texas
    Utah
    Virginia

NORTH DAKOTA Alabama Same as UT but without the letters of recommendation. You must pass a test administered by an
    Alaska instructor certified by the State of ND but the actual training can take place anywhere. Go to
    Idaho http://www.ag.state.nd.us/BCI/CW/list of instructors.pdf for a list of ND certified instructors.
    Indiana Everything can be through the mail. 701-328-5523 to order the forms.
    Kentucky www.ag.state.nd.us/BCI/CW/CW.html for information.
    Montana
    South Dakota
    Utah
    Wyoming

VERMONT No Permit Required

TOTAL STATES 26
  2. SaxonPig

SaxonPig New Member

Collecting carry permits is interesting but expensive and time consuming. I have three. I still have my Utah permit from when I lived there and since it can be renewed by mail for $10 I will keep it current. I now live in Arkansas and I got a permit here (although there are so many restrictions it is nearly useless). Plus I have one from New Hampshire.

The Utah permits costs about $100 or so (as a resident). The Arkansas permit was around $225 by the time all was done. The New Hampshire permit was $20 and only required a photocopy of home permit or letter from local police saying you are OK.

I suspect it would cost a lot of money to obtain all those permits and by the time you were done it would be time to start renewing them.
  3. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Agreed on the time consuming and expense. What I'm planning on doing is getting Florida and one or two more and let it go. Mostly to bug the crap out of my duly elected representatives to the Maryland General Assembly.