CCW Gun Advice

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by SandW640, Aug 8, 2005.

1. SandW640

SandW640 New Member

I'm looking to buy a lightweight gun for concealed carry. I want something small but I still want stopping power. Ideally I'd like a 9mm but I'm not 100% set on it. I posted about a Glock 26 and have also looked at guns like the Kel-Tec P-11 and the Sig P239. I've never shot these guns, I have only done research on the internet. I will hopefully have some time this week to see if the range has any of these available to rent. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks.
  2. Ron in CO

Ron in CO New Member

I am new to this board, and giving advice regarding carry weapons is always tricky, but I own choot and carry a Kel-Tec P11 and find it just right for me. THe Kel-Tec family usually requires a small amount of "fluff and Buff" so if you want a gun that you never work on, Kel-tec may not be for you. I also carry a Kel-Tec P380 which is perfect for situations where a very very small gun (sumer clothing) is important. 380 is smaller than you indicate comfort with, but I don't consider the 380 too "small" for carry.

Main thing is to get a weapon that you trust and is comfortable. Kel_Tec works well for me.

Ron.....
  3. the_end

the_end New Member

You'll find many, many weapons while researching that are great for concealed carry based on reliability and other common factors. Unfortunately, a Glock 26 might be perfect for Joe Schmoe on the Internet but you won't be able to hit a thing with it. You're on the right track, take your final list of pistols that prove themselves worthy on paper and go to the range and rent them all.

I'd add a Kahr K9/K40 to that list :)
  4. Bill

Bill New Member

Before you buy, consider HOW you want to carry. If you want a pocket pistol the Kel-Tec line particularly the P3AT .380 is a good choice. If you are going to shoulder carry under a jacket a larger gun might be what you want. Personally I like having a gun in a pocket that doesn't require me to dress in some special way to cover the gun. The .380 and .32 Kel-Tec's are Ideal pocket pistols.
    Bill
  5. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Any of the J Frame smith's in .38 or .357 are VERY concealable, reliable, and functional in the self defense role. I have one with the titanium parts, making it real light. Those combinations eliminate most of the excuses for leaving the gun behind.
  6. 147 Grain

147 Grain New Member

Just purchased a new 357 / 38 Special for my wife and highly recommend you consider the Lady Smith at $399 from CDNN.

[​IMG]