CCW in the rain

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by John Y., Aug 30, 2005.

1. John Y.

John Y. New Member

Okay,

I live in country where you can't CCW, so I'll have to live vicarously through your answers.

When you're out in the rain, what steps to you take to protect the gun from rust?

Johnny
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Buy stainless! ;) :D :D
  3. DPD06

DPD06 New Member

By definition it's concealed, so typically the covering whether it be a thick shirt or jacket will keep it from being soaked. I then immediately wipe it off/lubricate it when I get home.
  4. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Buy a GLOCK it does not rust.
  5. tucsonpilot

tucsonpilot New Member

Yep, one word....GLOCK!
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

For me, sweat is more of a concern than rain.
    I just keep it clean and oiled, either way.
  7. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

<-- See the avatar? It's a Kimber Compact Stainless II. That word Stainless is the key.

Yeah, it'll still rust, if not taken care of properly. But it's a lot easier to take care of properly when it's stainless!

(BTW: I decided upon a name for it: Mjollnir.)
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

Look to the "Ti Lite" Smith revolvers; not only does Titanium remain immune from corrosion, but it's substantially lighter than stainless, as well.
  9. obxned

obxned New Member

I love stainless, but think about it - blued steel shotguns get used in the rain a lot of the time if you hunt ducks, and few of them get anything more than dried and oiled, yet last decades.
  10. Buy a Glock. :D All kidding aside, so long as the weapon is kept properly oiled, and is dryed and re-oiled as soon as possible after it gets wet, rust is not likely to be a problem. Remember, military weapons are normally blued steel and rust is not often a problem if the weapon is properly maintained.
  11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I agree, Pick. I carried as S&W Model 36 for a while as a back-up on the ankle following several threats [goes with the territory for Prosecutors and Jurists but still startling when it occurs] on my family after a couple tough cases..... Living in the Heart of Dixie with the high humidity, I discovered too late just what perspiration [read SALT damage] can do to a blued weapon, even when a good oil coat was maintained, or the attempt to do so, thereof. I cleaned it up as best as I could and sold it.

This was replaced with an S&W early Model 60 with beautiful wooden grips. Forty some odd years later, I still carry it in my oxygen case !!!!! I sometimes wish that I had one of the later Model 60s that are capable os handling the .357 Mag calibre cartridges. Mine is a .38 Special model but will handle +p and +p+ cartridges.
  12. Your point is well taken Counselor. Climate does make a huge difference, and the humidity in Dixie, were I to live there, would likely tend me toward a stainless revolver as well. Here in Colorado, with its very dry climate, that is not such an issue.