CCW view points

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big ugly, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I have been on this forum for a little while now and I have met some good people. I have even seen good people go. I understand the 2nd and I understand the reason for personal protection. I can even grasp the point of stopping power. What I cant get is the obsession with carring more than one side arm at a time.How many villians are some of you supermen think you are gonna get at a time. I got my home protection gun, I got my carry gun(that I dont carry cuz I dont need to yet) my wife has her carry gun. I dont own a Howitzer pointed at the front door waiting for the gypsters to come barging in. I simply dont see the need for more than one side arm on a person at a single time. Some of you folks tell it like you have your sidearms accorsized to match your out fit your wearing ofr the day. (hey honey does this Taurus Judge clash with these jeans).
    Carry one and collect the rest. I know the crap is gonna hit the propeller soon enough but damn man, paranoid tendacies will give you a twitch. Besides, if you that paranoid you need to get you a better gun cuz when the poopie flys you most likely be facing assult rifles with your 45 Acp. Gee I wonder which one is more accurate out to a hundred yards.
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I dunno... I would never carry more than one, but I cant judge anyone who does. I mean heck, I back up my computer files "just in case", I have insurance "just in case".... I don't own a custom Kimber, but I have seen them jam, more than once... Might be nice to have a back up, just in case.

100 yards? That's running distance, not fighting distance. :D

Crpdeth
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Maybe not cary more than one at a time but maybe carry different size guns depending on the weather and or type of clothing at the time...

mike
    gn
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

The fascination with having different firearms for different clothing scenarios is easy. You need to carry something. I view carrying like this. Carry as large a gun as possible but always carry something. If you only own one carry gun, make it something that you'll always carry. That's simple... Most people disagree. :eek:

So, if I'm not wearing a jacket or bulky clothes I carry a KelTec P3AT. It will always be there. I'm not paranoid about printing with it, which can get you into trouble where I live and it's not uncomfortable with tighter/dressier clothes.

If I'm wearing looser clothes and no jacket, I'll pocket a Kahr PM40. It's a bit larger and consequently has more firepower than the .380 choice.

If I'm wearing a jacket in the winter I'll carry a Taurus PT145 at the largest. It has more capacity and knockdown power than the two previously mentioned pistols and isn't at risk of exposure in a jacket.

If in the truck, and I'm carrying a pocket pistol I'll usually have something larger in the center console as a pocket pistol can't be easily extracted while sitting. I know a guy that witnessed a robbery of a fast-food restaurant recently while sitting in his car at the drive-thru after midnight. The thieves could have easily chosen to rob him as they ran past his opened window. Access is everything.

I don't find that very complicated or over-the-top. As far as having a firearm located where you'll likely have access to it, consider the following fact. 77% of violent crimes occur in public places. The shotgun at home does little if you're not armed in public. A criminal isn't going to wait until you're ready for an attack. If you're wife is carrying a pistol in her purse, answer the question as to what the criminal will try to acquire first from your wife in a robbery. It's good that she's armed but her purse is still risky as a carry location. An attack is going to be off-guard. It's not like when I throw a ball to my two-year old son, wait for his hands to be extended, and then say, "you ready?" It doesn't work like that... If you neither have a firearm on your person or VERY close by, then you might as well not have one at all. Violent assaults for the purpose of robbery aren't something that you can see coming like a freight train in the distance. I'm just attempting to visualize my point. :)

Also, have you ever been scared such that you had to rush to your weapon when you thought danger was imminent? I had that unfortunate opportunity about 2 months ago when our alarm system went off at 7:00 AM. From a deep sleep I fumbled around for my glasses, then my pistol, and finally managed to make it to the alarm panel to see what had been triggered. By that time, the alarm company was calling and I still had no idea if someone was really in the house. In that amount of time, someone could have already been on the way up our stairs and likely have shot me. It was then that I realized the need to be better prepared. If you aren't prepared, you might as well have a baseball bat instead of a gun. Luckily, the sun was all that had set my motion detector off on that morning.

Also, I've been on our property unarmed and encountered unwelcome guests. I walked right past a coyote in the high grass walking with my dog. Even the dog didn't know the coyote was there. The coyote stood up and ran off quickly. If he had attacked my dog, I'd have liked to have a firearm close by. I had nothing. I've also had a wild boar wander through the front yard as I was loading my son (2 months old at the time) into our truck for church. I had no firearm around at that time. I've also wandered up on trespassers, likely hunting, near dusk and had no firearm close by. You live and you learn... I now like to be prepared. If I knew when I was going to be attacked (if ever) then I'd avoid the situation entirely. ;)

On the contrary, I had this situation occur and was openly armed. I don't know what could have come of this but it didn't hurt being armed. :D

As far as carrying more than one gun on your person?... Who the heck has room for that?... :D
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  5. 1 CAV

1 CAV New Member

I think what you are referring to is a BUG or a back up gun and frankly it's a good idea. Almost every police officer I know carries a BUG, usually a small .380 or something of that nature in an ankle holster. Some of them carry a small hammerless .357 revolver in their pocket. Regardless of the kind, it is always a good idea to have a BUG. You never know when your primary gun will jam or have some other kind of malfunction. You might accidentally drop your primary during the course of a fight. At best, a firefight is a chaotic maelstrom of events and there is no way of knowing what might happen. The only thing you can do is be as prepared as you can be. If you have reached the point where you have to use lethal force (and God I hope none of us ever do reach that point) don't you think it would be prudent to be as prepared for that as possible. We aren't talking about needing another ink pen because the one you are using has run dry after all. We are talking about needing an instrument capable of taking another man's life. Yes I would think you would want to have a back up for such a thing if it ever came to that.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

>I got my carry gun(that I dont carry cuz I dont need to yet)<

When will you need to? How will you know when you need to? Will you only need to carry it because you are going someplace dangerous? Why are you going there?

There are cliches about carrying a gun. I carry a pistol because a can't carry a cop. You never need a pistol until you need it desperately. But those things are cliches because they are said so often because they are true.

I carry a gun. Everywhere, all the time, I carry a gun. Never know when you might need it, so I always have it. I have a fire extinguisher and a jack in my truck. I've never needed the fire extinguisher, and the last time I used the jack was 2005, but I've still got both of them. Always have them in the truck. Never know when I might need one.

I used to have a dream. Haven't had it in a while, but I still remember it. It involved trying to shoot someone and the trigger wouldn't pull. Would have been nice, in that dream, to have a back-up gun. Guns are mechanical objects. Mechanical objects break. Richmond Virginia, back at the first of the month. Guy come into the Golden Market, to rob it. One of the customers was armed. Shot the bad guy. Then the trigger on his gun broke. That's how it was reported - the trigger broke. Fortunately it was a copy of the Remington 1875 single action, and he was able to slip-hammer three more round into the bad guy. Bet he'd have been happy to have a back-up gun along.

Winter-time, I'm wearing a 1911. I can conceal it better. But I've still got the J frame in my pocket. In the summer I don't have the 1911, but I still have the J frame.
  7. ARB

ARB New Member

No offense Big Ugly, but what does it matter if you're carrying one or two? You stated that you don't have to carry. Are you really that Big and that Ugly?:)
  8. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

When I was a LEO I normally carried 3 weapons on my person (shotgun and AR in car). I carried a side arm, an ankle weapon, and another which I called my heart attack gun (small 22 NA on the inside of my vest - fake a heart attack and use it in one last ditch effort to live ...). When I worked homicide I carried 2 45 ACPs on a shoulder holster ... (New York backup).

Now, I carry two weapons. One on my side and another in my pocket. My hand normally stays in my pocket - next to my 357. I have 'immediate' access to a it if needed (S&W M&P 642, Nemesis Holster). I consider this a close quarters weapon only. ... In the case where I get into a sustained fight or need to take longer shots ... (we have gangs here that raid restaurants, etc.), my 45 ACP is on my side - but it takes just a little longer to get to it (moving the Hawaiian shirt, drawing, etc. ...).

So, I carry two weapons: (1), because I am use to carrying multiple weapons, (2) I have more 'immediate' access to one of the weapons, (3) different tactics for each weapon, and (3) because the BR does not state I can only carry one.

I enjoy being well armed ---

[​IMG]
  9. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Hey at least you guy have a choice to carry 1 or 2 ,the peace loving SOB's up here won't let us.
  10. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

I'll give you my take on it....

I carry a backup for just what the name implies.....A BACKUP. Anyone that has put rounds downrange long enough has had a malfunction at some point. Think of facing an attacker and your weapon malfunctioning. I can grab and fire my BUG much quicker than I can "tap, rack and re-engage".

I can say with certainty that if you were faced with a deadly threat and your weapon went "CLICK".....you would wish literally with your life that you had a BUG.

Another reason is if you and a friend are faced with a deadly threat, you can arm him as well....you just doubled your odds of survival.

As for the "wardrobe" comments on aprimary carry, I can say that is true for me to an extent. I am of sleder build and cannot conceal a M1911A1 under a t-shirt and shorts in the summer, so I carry a .380. In the cooler months with a jacket or even a loose flanel, I can carry a .45 without it printing.

I do not have a Howitzer pointed at my front door, but if my house was being faced with a home invasion, I would certainly wish I had one. A 12 gauge will suffice for now.:)

If the "poopy flies" and I expect assault rifles, do you think I will take 100 yard shots with a .45? When I'm working on my car and I need to take an axle nut off, do you think I'm going to use a leatherman? I have a toolbox full of tools and know which one to choose......I will let you make that connection to your question.

There is a HUGE difference between "paranoid" and "Prepared". I choose to be prepared.....and if the "poopy flies", you would wish to God you were. I'm sure you have insurance on your car and house. Are you PLANNING on wrecking your car and burning your house down? I think not, but you have insurance nonetheless.

The same argument you presented could be applied to you for having even one gun for defense. Are you paranoid that someone will attack you or are you prepared?;)
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

I plan on carrying only one (IWB). If, however, I were to have a small firearm available, I would have no problem carrying that in my pocket as well. Just as stated above, not in case of a shootout where I would need both hands full of weaponry, but as a BUG or this firearm is better than that in a certain situation.
  12. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

6'2" 325 and I can run, I am crack head fast for a fat guy.

I recently talked with a feller that carried a .500 Casul in a shoulder, a glock19 in his butt crack, and a S&W detective 38 on his ancle. Too much hardware.
  13. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i carry an NAA 22 in my left pocket with my keys, and a smith 642 38 snub in either my right pocket or IWB. mostly in my pocket. it prints a bunch. people that know what to look for can tell. others dont pay it any attention. i dont mind that it prints, no laws against it. if i could carry openly without hassels i would. i would carry a full size on my hip and my 22 in my pocket and my 38 in my back pocket probably or somewhere else. i wear cowboy boots that are loose at the top so i could carry in the boot if i took a notion.
  14. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Be honest: If you and your family were walking toward your car in a dark parking lot and suddenly noticed a few shady characters moving toward you with "that look" on their faces, wouldn't you feel more secure with that "feller" next to you? (or yourself being equiped like him?)

If you ever have the displeasure of facing a deadly threat to yourself or someone you are obligated to protect, there is NO SUCH thing as "too much hardware".
  15. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

what I am getting at is this, where I live It is just not necessary, no if I was in Memphis or Atlanta or New York mabbe but poke ville tennessee, Nah I just dont see it.