1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

CCW

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ampaterry, Jul 30, 2012.

1. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Plus 1+
  2. Airdale

Airdale Member

Terry

Been carrying for about 3yrs and have used a IWB holster since day #1. Took about two hrs. to get used to it. The holster is from MTAC http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95 (about the same as Crossbreed).
    Invest in a good belt also. Have never had a problem with it. I am considering this all leather holster from El Paso Saddlery http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-226-72-summer-cruiser.aspx

My wife qualified a few months back and had to use whatever type gun she might carry, so she qualified with both a revolver and a semi auto.

Don't think you'll have a problem, good luck.
  3. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

When we moved to SC 6 1/2 years ago my wife and I took the course here and she had never even fired a gun. I brought my Glock 17 and the instructor advised us that that was probably too much gun for my wife since she hadn't shot before. He generously offered his Glock that had a .22 conversion on it for her. I don't remember the distance, but I don't even think it was 7 yards - it seemed really close. He had us put 50 rounds in the target and a certain percentage had to be within the silhouette. We did fire strong and weak hand, slow and rapid, and drawing from our holster. It was super easy so don't worry.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if that is a custom made holster ka64?
    Reason I asked, I have a guy that has made me one, (havent seen it yet, but will tomorrow) ITWB holster, all leather except for the belt clips.

And Terry, no worries...you'll do just fine! They dont make it difficult to pass.
  5. clamman

clamman Active Member

There is no caliber requirement in NC. If you can, just shoot what you are comfortable with. I used my 1911 in a plain ol' belt holster. No biggie.
  6. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Yes it is.
  7. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

No requirement in SC either. Someone said not in TX, so I'd borrow a 22 target pistol. Our instructor preferred semi-autos, but wasn;t an actual rule. We fired 50 rounds each, and the lady beside me needed help reloading- her revolver. When they counted my shots I had 52- the extra two holes were 32 longs, exactly what that lady beside me was shooting. Hopefully she failed and isn't walking around my town with a gun.
  8. JAS

JAS New Member

There was no requirement on Cal.some people used a .22.It was 48 shota and I think a 70% hit requirement. Target was about 18inch by 24 inch.Long as it was on the paper. they will tellyou in your class.Good luck
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Looks nice!
  10. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, a lot has happened over the last month.
    Worked with the 1911 for some time, and found that my essential tremmor started kicking in BAD after 20 rounds or so due to the weight.

Wife told me to buy the Glock I have been drooling over, so I did, and signed up for the CCW course at that same time. She got thinking about it, and she signed up also.

Today, we took the 8 hour course.
    48 total shots at 3, 7 and 15 yards at B27 targets.
    Part way through the 3 yard run, it started raining.
    Into the 7 yard part, it was POURING out of buckets.
    I was half blind from rain during the 15 yard part.
    I missed 4 shots.
    Judy missed ONE!

The instructor said "You let her win to feel better about herself, didn't you?"
    I said "I like that story. Let's go with that!"

Written exam was 30 questions, about half multiple choice and half true false.
    Passing was 20 correct.
    VERY basic stuff, nothing difficult at all.
    We both made it - the whole class made it.
    TN is a SHALL ISSUE state, so we WILL both have our CCW!!

Now to a DL station for application and $115 each in fees, then electronic fingerprints, then sit by the mail box and wait.
  11. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Congratulations to you both. Now the wait begins.
  12. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Made it to the DL office yesterday and paid the fees, filled out the APP. Supposed to call and make an appt. for the electronic fingerprinting, but knew where it was done so just drove over there and got that all taken care of yesterday morning.

DL said three months -
    Fingerprint place said running two weeks -
    Safety school said running nine days -

I am hoping the school was right!
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You sound all excited! Good for you both! I remember talking to my instructor way back when I first got my CCW. He told me that he had only had one person fail the class room part, and no one had ever failed the shooting part for qualification. I personally always miss a couple of shots on purpose. Once I even tried to shoot a smilley face on the target, still passed!
  14. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Congrats to you both Terry.

My wife decided to take hers with me at the last minute and out shot me by 1.
  15. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

Yeh, glad things are rolling for ya. Be safe out there.