The Firearms Forum banner

CCW

9K views 62 replies 19 participants last post by  ampaterry 
#1 ·
I will be trying out for this next month.
I need to find out what the accuracy requirement is for the safety course completion, and if there is a caliber restriction.
If it is TOO tough, I would like to take it using my High Standard Trophy Military Citation in .22.
I can drive tacks with that thing, but not that accurate with my 1911, and less yet with my Chiefs Special .38.

Also, what is your prefered carry method, and why?

I am MAINLY getting this so I can carry in the vehicle; TN requires a CCW to carry in the vehicle or OPEN carry, but there will be times when I want to carry on my person.

#27 ·
Made it to the DL office yesterday and paid the fees, filled out the APP. Supposed to call and make an appt. for the electronic fingerprinting, but knew where it was done so just drove over there and got that all taken care of yesterday morning.

DL said three months -
Fingerprint place said running two weeks -
Safety school said running nine days -

I am hoping the school was right!

#28 ·
You sound all excited! Good for you both! I remember talking to my instructor way back when I first got my CCW. He told me that he had only had one person fail the class room part, and no one had ever failed the shooting part for qualification. I personally always miss a couple of shots on purpose. Once I even tried to shoot a smilley face on the target, still passed!

#31 ·
I am all excited!

When I was a kid in IL, there weren't any laws regarding this, and I used to ride my bicycle around town with an H&R 929 .22 on my right hip. No one thought anything about it.

When we lived in Alaska in the early and mid 60's, Fairbanks was a wide open town. I walked around with my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag on my hip, and most other folks wore a gun also.

And that's it -
From then until now, I have been unarmed every time I left our property - because I would not DREAM of doing anything illegal - - -

Now I am working on full concealment.
I go around all spring, summer and fall in Cargo shorts and oversized Tee-shirts, worn out. Using a locking paddle holster on my strong right hip, the shirt covers the gun completely, but there is this bulge on my right side.
Yesterday I bought an oversized nylon jacket that hangs as low as the tee shirts, and this will smooth out the bulge and make this really unnoticeable.
Yet, hooking jacket and shirt with my thumb on the way up to the handle uncovers the weapon for an easy and quick grasp of it if needed.

I thought about an extra magazine and one of those belt holsters for two mags, but carrying cocked and locked gives me 18 rounds, so moving that to 52 is probably overdoing it a bit. I am more likely to carry if it is just the pistol and holster and nothing else.

#33 ·
I always carried a pistol of some sorts with me prior to getting my first carry permit in 1986. Thats been 26 years ago...cant imagine NOT having a sidearm...congrats Terry!

#35 ·
If you're printing like that, and if you're wearing the paddle at 3:00, just slide it back to about 4:00, that helps most people. You do not want some lady at the grocery store screaming 'he's got a gun!!' If that doesn't work, either a smaller pistol, or the best advice maybe is go IWB. But if you're having that bulge under your shirt- you might oughta change something.

#37 ·
Did you see the news blurb about keep and BARE arms? Apparently some repubs made a sign about our right to keep and Bare...embarrassing, but better than saying we DON'T.

#38 ·
Here in Idaho I don't need a course since I'm a veteran so I have never bothered to check the requirements otherwise.

#39 ·
You sound all excited! Good for you both! I remember talking to my instructor way back when I first got my CCW. He told me that he had only had one person fail the class room part, and no one had ever failed the shooting part for qualification. I personally always miss a couple of shots on purpose. Once I even tried to shoot a smilley face on the target, still passed!
Lethal Weapon fan, are we??

I always carried a pistol of some sorts with me prior to getting my first carry permit in 1986. Thats been 26 years ago...cant imagine NOT having a sidearm...congrats Terry!
Well, truth be told, I have also. But I was nervous about it -

Pocket carry was made for this. ;)
I've considered that, CJ, but I honestly do not want to give up the firepower of this Glock 17.

If you're printing like that, and if you're wearing the paddle at 3:00, just slide it back to about 4:00, that helps most people. You do not want some lady at the grocery store screaming 'he's got a gun!!' If that doesn't work, either a smaller pistol, or the best advice maybe is go IWB. But if you're having that bulge under your shirt- you might oughta change something.
I will try that move and see if I can live, sit, drive, etc. with it there. Otherwise, I will wear this jacket all summer to avoid that grocery store scene. I do believe, though, if some woman pointed at me and screamed "He has a gun!", I would point at her and scream "She has a thong!"

Did you see the news blurb about keep and BARE arms? Apparently some repubs made a sign about our right to keep and Bare...embarrassing, but better than saying we DON'T.
Maybe they are advocating open carry - Bare arms?? LOL!!

Here in Idaho I don't need a course since I'm a veteran so I have never bothered to check the requirements otherwise.
Here in TN, the ONLY thing regarding military service is that you will be rejected for a CCW, and also for the purchase of a pistol at a gun shop, if you have anything less than an honorable discharge.

#40 ·
You do not want some lady at the grocery store screaming 'he's got a gun!!'
I carry open mostly. Mainly because I wear mostly t-shirts or polo shirts and hate them flopping around loose. I've never had this happen. Closest thing was.... stopped to fill my truck with gas, went in to prepay. On way out I passed a patron coming in. I pumped my gas and went back in for my change. The cashier said that guy wanted to know what I was doing in there with a gun. She told him "Buying gas, duh." No big deal.

#41 ·
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it WILL happen- especially with open-carry. But it has happened, to a guy that bent over in a store. Someone called the cops after she ran out screaming, and I for one would HATE to be that guy.

#42 ·
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it WILL happen- especially with open-carry. But it has happened, to a guy that bent over in a store. Someone called the cops after she ran out screaming, and I for one would HATE to be that guy.
Ha ha, its time we stand up and quit being afraid. So what if someone gets scared. Let the liberal sissys get scared. Who gives a flying flip. I would just laugh outloud at them and go about my business. Its time to set the records straight. A right that goes un exercised is quickly lost. Let them scream and cry all they want. God I hate liberals.

#43 ·
I'm with ya on that one Dan :thumbsup:. Worse case scenario, tell them to call 911 and report a man with a gun. Stand there calmly and wait to present your permit to whatever LEO shows up. As long as it's not posted or you haven't been verbally told by management, you've broken no law.

#44 ·
I understand what you're saying but I'm with DD. I'll be dayumed if I'll bend over and kiss the arse of some liberal sissy who gets scared because I choose to exercise my 2nd Ammendment Rights. Let them go running off into the night screaming.

#45 · (Edited)
In Tn your permit covers open or concealed,I prefer concealed as dont want any hassles or anyone to know im armed,often carry mine concealed on a belt openly just disguised says Bushnell on the top flap so all is covered and unsuspected.Or IWB under shirttail 5 oclock over wallet.
Keep the cannons in the truck im 132 pds sopping wet,have peashooters all over the place,reach with either hand front or back.Most can be placed into action and under 3 sec have an empty pistol,dont carry spare mags just pull another peashooter.
If printing is an issue either in your mind or laws elsewhere consider a smaller pistol,I prefer peashooters of yesteryear or steel as thin and small and can control.Recoil not really much of an issue,longer barrel 32 acp say 3 .5 in puts out as much as any short 380 or 38 snubby with non +P ammo.
No restrictions as what to use unlike other states 22 cal can be used,I used a Taurus pt22.

#46 ·
If they would just pass open carry in Florida, I would strap on 4-5 1911s at a time and a few large hunting knives and walk the friggin streets. Piss on the liberals and their whinny a$$ baby whimpy scared selves. I am sick of hearing about it.

#47 ·
Now this hurts.

As I believe I mentioned, my wife outshot me on the qualification. It was raining buckets, she had a 38 snubby, and she missed one out of 48, wheras I missed four.
That was bad enough.

Yesterday, the owner of the school sent us a thank you card and wished us the best in the future -
And closed it with:
"And Judy, you ROCKED on the range!!"

I still say it was raining harder on me than it was on her -

#48 ·
Now this hurts.

As I believe I mentioned, my wife outshot me on the qualification. It was raining buckets, she had a 38 snubby, and she missed one out of 48, wheras I missed four.
That was bad enough.

Yesterday, the owner of the school sent us a thank you card and wished us the best in the future -
And closed it with:
"And Judy, you ROCKED on the range!!"

I still say it was raining harder on me than it was on her -
The Lord works in mysterious ways. Congrats....

#50 ·
Bad part is Terry, she beat you with a snubby no less...man oh man...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.