The Firearms Forum banner

CCW

9K views 62 replies 19 participants last post by  ampaterry 
#1 ·
I will be trying out for this next month.
I need to find out what the accuracy requirement is for the safety course completion, and if there is a caliber restriction.
If it is TOO tough, I would like to take it using my High Standard Trophy Military Citation in .22.
I can drive tacks with that thing, but not that accurate with my 1911, and less yet with my Chiefs Special .38.

Also, what is your prefered carry method, and why?

I am MAINLY getting this so I can carry in the vehicle; TN requires a CCW to carry in the vehicle or OPEN carry, but there will be times when I want to carry on my person.

#3 ·
everywhere is different so look at your states requirements.In Texas it has to be 50 rounds at 3,7 and 15 yds two handed.If you use revolver you can only carry revolver.It should be easy to find your states laws.

#4 ·
methods vary and depends on your wardrobe.Most carry strong side in a IWB holster for ease of draw.I carry in a fanny pack as I have to wear basketball shorts for medical reasons and a fanny pack lets it ride up front.The strong side is the fastest draw method.You will find you will end up with a wardrobe of holsters as there is not one fit all and it depends how you dress.If you go with IWB I suggest getting pants 2 inches larger to accomadate the bulge.

#5 ·
I find that if I don't pocket carry, I don't carry.

Am I as accurate with the little Keltec? Nope. But I'm not shooting targets; I'm keeping myself safe.

Indiana doesn't have any testing. If you pass the background check and pay the fee, you get a License to Carry Handgun.

#6 ·
I reckon all coarses are a bit different, but to pass the range shooting, we shot at the 5 and 10 meter marks at a paper plate.
And to save on ammo per cost, we were allowed to shoot .22's! There was only one elderly lady that was haveing a bit of a problem and the instuctor worked with her till she had the safety aspect and shooting aspect down pat.

#7 ·
Hey Brother Terry.Been thinkin and I dont know your profiency level or anything.I do suggest the book "Gun Digest of Concealed Carry"by Massad Ayoob.This is a great book on the ccw lifestyle.He shows how to dress,picking proper holsters and alot of good info.I also recommend his book "In The Gravest Extreme".This deals with the legalities of deadly force and is full of good legal info.I found by reading this I knew more than the stuff a class goes over.I also suggest printing out your state laws and learning them.Mr. Ayoob also has a great series of videos on youtube called Judicious use of deadly Force.I think it is 8or 10 videos but covers alot of ground.I hope this helps.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Thank you, guys, for all those responses!
Going out of town later this week, but will start checking deeper next week on requirements of a couple of schools I have found locally.

#10 ·
Terry,

Take the 22, Tn doesn't have a caliber requirement. My wife used a friends Ruger. If you're a tack driver with it, you'll have no problems

How I carry depends on how I'm dressed. My paddle holster for my wheel gun tends to make my speedo sag when I'm on the water so I use an ankle rig that matches my flip-flops :D. Tn doesn't specify open or concealed and we are a don't ask, don't tell state so whatever makes you most comfortable.

#11 ·
Most classes have you shooting at no more than 7 yards, 21 feet. And at a B27 sized target. It just isn't hard to hit a large target at 21 feet!

#12 ·
When I went you can bring any caliber handgun you wanted, saw alot of .22s . Distances were 12 shots at 3 yards 12 at 5 yards 12 at 7 yards and 12 at 15 yards at least thats what it was at my class. Pretty easy just get them in the black, I saw people who never shot there gun pass easily. Hope this helps.

#13 ·
I always have my students shoot from 21ft. I just have them change up a little each time. One time, slow fire, the next rapid fire, the next a mixture. The state of florida does not have caliber requirements or number of round requirements, but I always made everyone shoot about 50 rounds and more if they were having trouble putting them on target.

#14 · (Edited)
You'll do great Terry. Try to convince Judy to go for hers too. (I'll get my wife on her if that will help.)

My wife may be taking a two day carbine combat course this weekend. She just bought her 1st AR & wants to get in there & mix it up with some of the big boys; (LEOs).

Back to your CWP/CCW-
Have you put much thought into you primary carry weapon (PCW)?

The 1911 could be a great choice!

I wouldn't worry about not qualifying. It's not that hard because you start in close & work your way out; all the while getting pointers & feedback from your instructors.

We have people in every class that bring an upon firearm still in the box who have never shot a firearm before that day. My wife & I usually take extra time with the newbies in class. Neither one of us has ever failed to get a student through; even if they have NEVER held a firearm before the day of the class. (Most good instructors are well qualified to handle any difficulties with marksmanship.)

BTW;
My PCW is a 24/7 ProC 45; carried AIWB in a trimmed down Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe.

-

#15 ·
and your chief special is a perfect one to carry in a jacket pocket.I am a big fan of small frame revolvers.Easy to hide and draw.Bianchhi makes a grip clip I like.It has a clip that allows to carry mexican style.I have carried like this with all types of firearms and it is my favorite method.I toted a 1911 in the small of my back mexican style for years.My fav that I carry is a rossi .357 with a 2 inch barrel.It fits a jacket pocket well .Being a pastor I assume you wear a sport coat alot and the .38 is a perfect fit for that.

#16 ·
and your chief special is a perfect one to carry in a jacket pocket.I am a big fan of small frame revolvers.Easy to hide and draw.Bianchhi makes a grip clip I like.It has a clip that allows to carry mexican style.I have carried like this with all types of firearms and it is my favorite method.I toted a 1911 in the small of my back mexican style for years.My fav that I carry is a rossi .357 with a 2 inch barrel.It fits a jacket pocket well .Being a pastor I assume you wear a sport coat alot and the .38 is a perfect fit for that.
Plus 1+

#17 ·
Terry

Been carrying for about 3yrs and have used a IWB holster since day #1. Took about two hrs. to get used to it. The holster is from MTAC http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95 (about the same as Crossbreed).
Invest in a good belt also. Have never had a problem with it. I am considering this all leather holster from El Paso Saddlery http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-226-72-summer-cruiser.aspx

My wife qualified a few months back and had to use whatever type gun she might carry, so she qualified with both a revolver and a semi auto.

Don't think you'll have a problem, good luck.

#18 ·
When we moved to SC 6 1/2 years ago my wife and I took the course here and she had never even fired a gun. I brought my Glock 17 and the instructor advised us that that was probably too much gun for my wife since she hadn't shot before. He generously offered his Glock that had a .22 conversion on it for her. I don't remember the distance, but I don't even think it was 7 yards - it seemed really close. He had us put 50 rounds in the target and a certain percentage had to be within the silhouette. We did fire strong and weak hand, slow and rapid, and drawing from our holster. It was super easy so don't worry.

#19 ·
You should be fine Padre. here it's 50 rounds @ close range, 2 handed, strong handed & week handed. My preferred carry is Locked & cocked. There is no other!!!!!!!

I was wondering if that is a custom made holster ka64?
Reason I asked, I have a guy that has made me one, (havent seen it yet, but will tomorrow) ITWB holster, all leather except for the belt clips.

And Terry, no worries...you'll do just fine! They dont make it difficult to pass.

#22 ·
No requirement in SC either. Someone said not in TX, so I'd borrow a 22 target pistol. Our instructor preferred semi-autos, but wasn;t an actual rule. We fired 50 rounds each, and the lady beside me needed help reloading- her revolver. When they counted my shots I had 52- the extra two holes were 32 longs, exactly what that lady beside me was shooting. Hopefully she failed and isn't walking around my town with a gun.

#25 ·
Well, a lot has happened over the last month.
Worked with the 1911 for some time, and found that my essential tremmor started kicking in BAD after 20 rounds or so due to the weight.

Wife told me to buy the Glock I have been drooling over, so I did, and signed up for the CCW course at that same time. She got thinking about it, and she signed up also.

Today, we took the 8 hour course.
48 total shots at 3, 7 and 15 yards at B27 targets.
Part way through the 3 yard run, it started raining.
Into the 7 yard part, it was POURING out of buckets.
I was half blind from rain during the 15 yard part.
I missed 4 shots.
Judy missed ONE!

The instructor said "You let her win to feel better about herself, didn't you?"
I said "I like that story. Let's go with that!"

Written exam was 30 questions, about half multiple choice and half true false.
Passing was 20 correct.
VERY basic stuff, nothing difficult at all.
We both made it - the whole class made it.
TN is a SHALL ISSUE state, so we WILL both have our CCW!!

Now to a DL station for application and $115 each in fees, then electronic fingerprints, then sit by the mail box and wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.