CCW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pinecone70, Aug 20, 2009.

1. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I am signed up for concealed carry class on Sunday morning. I'm nervous already, after receiving the liability waiver in the mail the other day....I could get shot by some newbie! :eek: OMG! If all goes well with the county application, I could be licensed to carry in just over a month.
  2. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

No worries and hopefully you have a good instructor. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot too.
  3. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I've had many newbies and veterans point firearms at me, I can say that I'm not enthusiastic about it. I haven't been shot yet.:) Won't be surprised if I am. Pretty good to get a permit in a month, my wife's took five.
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Well.....The county's website says about a month, that doesn't mean they will get it right in the mail. My permit to buy pistols took twice as long last year, due to lots of applicants.
  5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Good luck on the garnering the permit, pinecone. You'll do just fine. And, if the instructor is worth his salt, after one warning, he'll D/Q anyone flashing folks with their firearm.
  6. There's no reason to be nervous, Pine. The instructors in such classes are almost always very well qualified, and are careful to see the newbies don't get hurt, or hurt someone else. You should also get a little range time out of the deal. When I applied for my CCW here in Colorado, the whole process took only about a month as I recall, and part of that was because our local sheriff likes to meet the people who get permits. He had all the permitees meet at his office so he could hand out the permits personally. Of course, I live in a small county population wise, so it was possible for him to do that.

Congrats on making the wise decision to go through the process and get a permit, by the way! Odds are, you will never have to draw a weapon, and that is what one always hopes will be the case. Yet the world we live in can be a dangerous place, and having the means and skills to defend oneself at need, can be a gift beyond price. Best of luck! ;)
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Thanks, Pistol! I have done a ton of thinking about the responsibility of carrying and all the implications. Minnesota is a non-concealed state, but the law tells everyone that the general public had better NOT see anyone carrying openly. It is also against the rules here to defend a stranger. I will learn all the details in class about the laws and behaviors expected of me. I know I will probably never have to draw a weapon on anyone, but I would rather have the option than not.
  8. ARB

ARB New Member

I'm sure you'll be fine. I took my class through Bass Pro for free. The instructors were very good. I was nervous however, that some of the folks in the class had never fired a handgun before. They passed the whole class.:confused: One thing I did like was that if they thought anyone looked or acted questionably they said they were out. I wish it was a little more selective. Anyway, have fun, it's always good to get to the range.:)
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    As my instructor said: "Do what I tell you, and there is no way you will fail! If you don't do what I tell you, when I tell you, you will be leaving here real quick"! No body got sent home!
    Enjoy!
  10. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

I am still waiting through the 80 days it is taking to get mine, should have it by mid Sept.
  11. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

In my experience, the CCW class is more about being exposed to the rules and regulations, along with a smidgen of firearm safety. There's no time spent on technique or skill. In other words, easy peasy.

Congrats, by the way. Even if you don't have to be a deadeye, it's still very satisfying to slip that card in your wallet.
  12. artabr

artabr New Member

I'm sure that you'll do great, Pinecone. ;) :)

Art
  13. pawn

pawn Active Member

You will enjoy the experience and likely end up tops in the class. :)
  14. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

Good luck Pinecone!
  15. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    You'll give em what for.

Just keep an eye on the newbie's.;)