Centurion 39 AK-47

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Alzar47, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Alzar47

Alzar47 New Member

Has anyone had the chance to use one of the Century Arms Centurion 39, the totally U.S. made AK-47?

I am very interested in them due to the reliability of the AK and the milled internals. I also love the irony in having the symbol of freedom on the weapon of oppression. I know the price is a little high but is it worth it? Any information would be appreciated.
  2. stitch1870

stitch1870 New Member

AK is an AK, not gonna find much difference in build quality unless it originated in some horrible 3rd world country (i.e. Afghanistan, the knock-off's they make there are horrendous, but it is still an AK) Nowadays all you really need is an assembled reciever and you can pretty much mod it anyway you want as the AK accessory market is quickly catching up with the AR series market. As far as reliability, the only problem I have found with mine was that it didn't like Brown Bear Hollowpoint ammunition. It was cheap so I wanted to see how my AK would eat the cheap ammo. Problem is I don't have a ramped barrel so the rounds kept getting stuck during the chambering process, so lesson learned on that. Good luck on your endeavors.
  3. Alzar47

Alzar47 New Member

Thanks for responding but this particular AK is all American made. The action is milled out of an 11 pound block of steel so you'd think that it is a little better than the stamped internals of a foreign made AK.
    Also, what is a ramped barrel? Sorry, I'm new to the AK scene.
  4. pawn

pawn New Member

Fine rifle, probably worth the bucks. I purchased a Yugo AK M70 for $425 last month and believe it to be a solid value. Ramped barrel? I think that guy was maybe having problems with his feeding ramp :confused: Also, he has only 1 post here, less than you.

You can't go wrong with the rifle you plan to purchase. Yugo M70 is in the same class and can be had for less if you happen upon one for sale.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i had no idea there was any american made ak's
  6. Alzar47

Alzar47 New Member

Yes, century arms makes a Totally American made AK but be careful to check that it is specifically the Centurion. Other companies, including century, offer "American" made AKs that are foreign but they've added American parts to them. IO is a company that offers that kind of weapon. They're probably fine but I want 100% American! Looks like nobody has had the chance to try one of the Centurions out yet...someone please prove me wrong.
  7. bigd1590

bigd1590 New Member

if you want the best ak you can buy buy an arsenal ak my ak-47 by arsanal dose 3/4 inch groups and my ak-74 dose about 1 inch one hole group and on top of that i can hit a 6 inch plate at 230yrds with my 74 open sights with corosive ammo these are russian/ american made but they will cmpeat with any ar and most of the time they will out shoot, i do own ar's and a colt m-4 and none of my ar's or my colt can come tighter then 1 3/4 inch groups. i have to say i do own a cheap ak and a few i built, these cheap guns may be nice and shoot2.5-4 inch groups (honestly mst combat u will see is under 200yrds) i would buy the high quaility one as a go to gun then i would have a few cheaper ones in my other "bug out" and or "go bag" but just my 0.02 cents
  8. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

The B-West AK-47 was made in Tuscon, Az. They were shut down by the BATF some 20 years ago. The BATF did not want the AK-47 produced in the U.S. The BATF charged B-West with making sheet metal parts in a plant not connected to the main factory. The BATF claimed sub-standard heat treating of the ejectors. Like they would care. There has never been a reported failure of a B-West AK-47. I own 2 of the B-West rifles and they have fired 1,000s of rounds no problems. So yes AK-47 were made in America a long time ago.

RC
  9. stitch1870

stitch1870 New Member

My bad on the improper terminology. I'm a grunt, so I may not know the exact name or proper job for each and every little piece but I can still diss/ass a M2 easily and know that if "X" doesn't go where it's supposed to it won't work, but you get my point.
  10. Dirty

Dirty New Member

I've had a Romainian AK since 2006, fed it over 10,000 rds with no malfunctions, although I have certainly modified it... No critical component mods tho...AKs are very much designed to be robust, and while you'll be no Alvin York, you can certainly throw down in a gunfight inside 300m. As for the "ramped barrel" everyone keeps referring to, allow me to elaborate: This is a gunsmith's mod that many manucaturers are now producing in the factory, especially for handguns. What this is referring to, is a sloped and polished reduction of the back of the chamber that helps guide the nose of the round off the magazine and into the chamber. The major drawback that some old school shooters have with it is that the "ramp" takes a bit of material away from the chamber, which is the part of the gun that keeps a casing in tact while the magic happens, and directs the force of round detonation forward....Ive never heard of a proper ramping job affecting the firing of a round, but if you want to ramp your chambers, I would reccomend going to a certified gunsmith to get the work done.
  11. stitch1870

stitch1870 New Member

^
    Thanks for clearing it up, I knew what I was talking about, but just not the proper terminology and etc. But this is one of the things I plan on doing when I get home and back to my Bulgarian.
  12. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

I'm building a Bulgarian AK 74 from parts. So far I've found all the tolerances to be very tight on the Bulgarian. Nice blonde wood, too.
  13. Gun Totting Liberal

Gun Totting Liberal New Member

I shan’t bore you readers by engaging in some monotonous diatribe regarding the Centurion 39 by Century Arms. I will make it short and sweet. This weapon is a proprietary piece of filth. The company that created it does not stock replacement parts, the stock in made of what is likely toy grade plastic, and finally, the design of the platform is such that you can forget about performing after-market upgrades. In a nut shell, if you desire an AK-47, you had better stick to purchasing a platform made by our former Warsaw Pact adversaries.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

HEY GTL welcome !
  15. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

There are also Foriegn AK milled receivers. Unless it is a preban AK the term is AKM.