Cera Coating Pistol

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Hugh357, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hugh357

Hugh357 Member

Howdy, new to the forum and wanted to share what I just did and have yet to see the results. I have a Ruger P85 with a finish that is starting to show the age of the pistol. I purchased the Ruger new about 20 years ago and have shot a ton of 9x19 through it. It has been a good pistol and none are built more rugged. I was searching coatings and ran across a product called Cera Coating. I wanted something tough that would last a long time and look good. I checked out the colors and viewed a number of reviews and posts about the looks and the durability. As luck would have it I was listening to a talk radio show in Des Moines, IA, 1040am, and the host was interviewing a gentlemen that owns a Firearms firm. I thought what the heck, I will give him a call and visit about issues I was having with my P85. Sure enough, he is a gunsmith and he has worked with Cera Coating. I took my P85 to his shop in central Iowa and picked out the colors. For the slide a picked graphite black and for the frame I selected burnt bronze. The estimate is $200 and should be about 2 weeks. I will keep all posted and be sure to post pictures of the finished product.

Attached Files:

• 033.JPG
      033.JPG
      File size:
      74.7 KB
      Views:
    • 036.JPG
      036.JPG
      File size:
      74.1 KB
      Views:
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

I only hear good things about Cerakote!
    Welcome to TFF!
  3. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    When I saw the post, I had to do go make sure my P85 was still in the safe because it looked almost identical. :eek:

Interesting color choice...looking to make it a Hawkeye gun? I'd love to see the finished product when it's done, so be sure to post follow up pics.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Cera cote is the best spray on finish on the market IMO. Interesting choice of colors. Cant wait to see the after pics.