Ceskoslovenska zbrojovka a.s. brno

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by raclash, May 8, 2013.

1. raclash

raclash New Member

Hi I have thisCeskoslovenska zbrojovka a.s. brno and there are no other markings on it that I can find. It has had anew stock put on. I want to know anything I can about it if skmeone can help me out plz.
  2. raclash

raclash New Member

Pics.

Attached Files:

3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Welcome to the forum! I don't know anything about the gun, but there are guys on this forum that will know. That is one nice looking rifle! What caliber is it?
  4. raclash

raclash New Member

I think 8mm but thats why im hoping someone on here can help me out with all the info. I want totry and trade it for a .40 pistol
  5. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

If it is like most CZ/Brnos it is a tack driver.
  6. raclash

raclash New Member

So being a tack driver is the best info I can get from here? I have been told by many it is supposed to be a very good weapon if it is the 8mm we think it is. I may just go buy some 8mm and see if it fits and hope it doesnt blow up the gun. :)
  7. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

What this rifle looks like is a sporterized CZ 8mm Mauser army rifle. CZ made them for the Czech army starting about 1924, and after Czechoslovakia was absorbed by Germany in 1939, they made them for the German army until 1945. They were strong, simple, well-made guns, and like most well-made Mausers, they had a good reputation for accuracy.

As far as being a good weapon, they are accurate and fire a powerful cartridge, but they are a bolt action with a five round magazine and therefore have a low rate of fire by today's standards. As a hunting rifle, it is powerful, but has some unpopular features, such as "controlled feeding" (you have to put a round in the magazine to load it; you cannot simply put one in the chamber) and the safety is rather slow to operate.

As regards value, it is a sporterized military rifle in fair condition. Being sporterized means collectors have no interest in it. That is especially true here, since the original sights have been completely removed. Being military surplus means that as a sporting rifle, it is strictly a low-budget, working gun, and 8mm Mauser is not as popular as .308, .30-06, or even 6.5mm Swede (AFAIK).

I don't know enough to suggest a price, but I very much doubt it would bring enough to buy a good .40 automatic pistol. There is a lot more demand for .40 pistols than for sporterized 8mm milsurp rifles, IMO.

All the above is my opinion, right off the top of my head, and I hope anyone who knows better will speak up. :)

PS - Thanks for putting up very good pictures, raclash. You would be amazed by how many people ask similar questions without pictures.

PPS - Yes, I know that some sporterized military rifles are works of art by custom gunsmiths. This one, while decent, is not one of those.
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

What kind of .40 were you trading for? You may need to bring some cash as well...
  9. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Altho most sporters are 30-06 or 08 I,ve had some great luck with my 8MM ,,as far as Value If you see whats on ********* for fully done sporters,, yours ranks on the low end If I was looking for a starter Bubba I,d say 200.00 would be the money on your particular piece
  10. raclash

raclash New Member

Thank you Lanrezac that is all the info I was looking for. I figured it only be worth $150 to $300 depending on the buyer. I have a co worker rhat offered $200 and another guy on craigslist that wants me to sell it to him then trade it. The reason I wasasking for glock .40 is because I want my family to own all same piatols and I like these. I have noticed when people want something they will often trade down in value which I have done a few times. I'll most likely just sell it. Im more interested in my shotgun, sks, and bow.