CFE223 real time data

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dammitman, Mar 24, 2012.

1. dammitman

dammitman Member

well, its been out now for awhile, a magazine article has been printed(at least one anyways) but what has been your experience with this newer hodgdon powder? only actual experience with CFE223 need reply as responces from folks who havent actually used it would be, well,,,,,,useless. my opinion will come tomorrow as i have just loaded some 223 75 grain for tomorrow morning to try, i have already shot some 223 69 grain but will let you know about the results after input from others. THANKS!!!:)
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I won't be able to comment until at least Wednesday. I bought a pound of it and have also loaded up some .223 but can't get to the range before Wednesday, at the earliest.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yes, please fill in the blanks on this one. I wanna try it.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

All right, made it out to the range today to run a ladder test with CFE223 powder and a 40 grain Sierra Blitzking bullet. The picture of the results are attached.

The Hodgdon website does not have very many loads for CFE223 powder. There were none for 34/35 grain bullets, which I have about 600 of. :( I only had a few 40 grain bullets left so I loaded up five each of 27.5 (minimum load), 28.0, 28.5, and 29.0 (maximum load). When I got through loading those twenty, I had a dozen bullets left so I loaded four at 28.8, four at 28.3, and four at 27.7. I forgot what I was doing and shot the fourth one for the 27.7 target at the one below it.:eek::bleh: I'm glad I did the other three loads, because the 27.7 turned out to be the best I've shot so far. That is three holes right on the last "7" below the 2 inch spot target. After the first two rounds, I brought the scope up two clicks to get the shots out of the writing.

I had eight 45 grain bullets left in a box so I loaded them up with 28.0 grains of CFE223 powder. I shot them first to heat up the barrel a little. The first two shot of the day are the two just to the left of the "45".

Before I shot, I inspected the barrel and it looked clean to me. I did not see any copper fouling, but without a bore scope it would be hard to see anyway. After I finished shooting, I inspected the barrel again and really can't tell you if it was any cleaner or not. It did look a little brighter but that could have been wishful thinking!! I can tell you that there was a little un-burned powder in the barrel. I would guess that with having to use such high loads, it must burn very slow.

I also loaded up some 69 grain Hornady BTHP with 24.7 grains of powder (for the AR) and found that they are so close to being a compressed load that I won't use the CFE again for anything heaver than 55 grains.

All in all, I guess I would say that I am happy with the powder, I will load 40 grain bullets with 27.7 grains of powder from now on for the Weatherby!!

OH, the other picture is 40 rounds of 115 grain bullets at 25 yards through my newish Taurus PT1911 9mm.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

nice! I gotta grab me a pound or 2..
  6. langenc

langenc Member

Do not have any CEF--
    most of my Hodgdon cans have recipes on the labels..