chamber/cartridge adapters

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by john riley, Nov 15, 2006.

1. john riley

john riley New Member

I was considering getting some riflechamber adapters from this company in alaska I believe it's called mace The also make rifle adapters for shotguns and cartridge adapters I heard some of them need to installed with chemicals and tools and that others slide freely in and out I tried emailing the company with questions but haven't had much luck does anyone know about any of these? are they any good? can they be installed in the field? are they safe for the operator and the firearm? I'm considering a cartridge adapter in 22lr for 223 or a rifle bore adapter for in 22lr for 30/30 They seem neat but it might just be an inefficiant gimmick I don't know. Any thoughts?
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

The shotgun adapters work great for single and double barrels. I really don't have any experience with rifle ones other than the Ceiner conversion kits. What kinda gun are you wantin them for.
  3. john riley

john riley New Member

Thanks for replying,

I was looking at them for a savage 24f combo gun. WHen you say the shot gun adapters do you mean rifle adapters for shot guns, or gauge adapters? Thanks again
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Gauge adapters, Their is always the option of buying an AR-15 aor Ak-47 or so on and then buying a .22lr conversion and getting the 2 calibers with it
  5. john riley

john riley New Member

Thanks again for replying,

There is a guy in alaska who via the internet sells 18 inch rifle unserts for shotguns. I'm looking at possibly an insert in 22lr and one in 22hornet. depending on how they perform either insert would add welcome versatility to my 20 gauge over/under. what I'm concerned with is the shotgun's ability to handle the higher pressure rifle cartridge. Since I'm only considering those 2 low caliber inserts I don't think it should be a problem, however I just wanted to consult some more knowledgable people, and find out if anyone has any experience with these performance wise
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

John, the Savage M-24 will handle a Hornet, no sweat; it was chambered in .222, as well, a much higher pressure, and larger, round.
    I assume the adaptor is to increase versatility of the arm; this being said, no chemicals, beyond bore solvent, and oil, should be involved.
    Savage used to market a 'Four Tenner' insert, to allow the use of the smaller gauge shells in a 12, or 20 ga shotgun; while not particularly accurate, they worked ok.
    At one time there was a company offering .357 Mag/ .38 Spl inserts for shotguns, as well, sort of a "Poor Boy" Drilling Kit. Also, not particularly accurate, but very functional!
    A parting thought; if you handload, the Hornet can be loaded to anything from rimfire to .222 specs, which may eliminate the rimfire adaptor, entirely!
  7. john riley

john riley New Member

Stash,

Thanks for the post, much appreciated. DO you own a savage model 24?? been thinking about pickin one up what dou you think of it? The pros seem apparent any cons?