Chambering for .265x284 Norma from 6.5x55

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Tom B. Bailey, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Tom B. Bailey

Tom B. Bailey New Member

Doen anybody know if a 6.5 55 Swede barrel can be rechambered to 6.5x284 Norma.? The Norma case dimentions are a tiny bit larger in every place except the 284 head is exactly the same as .308 etc. The Swede head as about 0.01 in. larger. Would the bolt face need to be altered? Tom
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

No problem with the bolt face.
    The 6.5Swede head diameter of 0.480" is close enough to the standard .30-06 0.473" diameter that no mods are necessary to the bolt face.

You will most likely need to modify the feed rails of your magazine or action (depending on what rifle you're building this around) to feed the fatter, straighter .284 case properly. Also, depending on how much headspace your current 6.5x55 chamber has, you might need to set back the barrel a bit to get the proper headspacing when cutting the 6.5-284 chamber...it's very close to the same length as the Swede. A set of Go/No-Go gauges will tell the tale on that though.

Also, the Hornady manual has data for the 6.5-284. It's lower-pressure data that only gains you about 100fps over the 6.5x55.
    The case capacity of the 6.5-284 is identical to the 6.5RemMag so in theory you should be able to load it to the 6.5RemMag's or the 6.5-06's potential in a modern action.
    BUT...If you're building around an M96 Mauser action, it's best to stick with the lower pressure loads though.

Sounds like you've got an interesting build planned! Be sure to post up more details and welcome to TFF!
  3. Tom B. Bailey

Tom B. Bailey New Member

Thanks for the info. I thought that would work. I am thinking about buying and inexpensive rifle.eg Marlin XS7, Mossberg ATR, Howa, Weatherby Vanguard etc. and rebarreling and restocking to fancy wood. I just like to work with the wood. The Howa barreled action can be had in 6.5x55. Others would make me have to rebarrel with new barrel in 6.5x284. I shoot a 7 Mag. now. Just want another gun! The savage is great but butt ugly; the Marlin and the Mossberg ,I understand, can le me swap barrels due to the barrel nut method and now days those nuts look better. Sounds crazy, but I might have the action case colored. Tom