Chambering Problem

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Captbaggywrinkles, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Captbaggywrinkles

Captbaggywrinkles New Member

I have a problem chambering a round after seating the bullet. Prior to seating a bullet I am able to chamber a resized shell into my Ruger 1. Once I seat the bullet it will not go into the chamber 100% without forcing it. Using a RCBC .270 die I follow the instruction for non-crimping. I placed a resized shell into the press and raise it till it touches the die. Then I back off the die one full turn. And when I seat the bullet into the shell it reads .003 over at the neck.
    I have prepped the cases properly. What am I missing
    ?
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Place a sized case into the shell holder.

Raise the ram all the way up.

Screw the seating die into the press until you feel it contact the sized case.

Lower the ram and back the die out one full turn and tighten the locking ring.

Adjust OAL with the seating stem.

If this is what you did then my guess is your OAL is to long. What OAL are you using and with what bullet?
  3. Captbaggywrinkles

I will need to check my records on the OAL. My reloading is done away from home so I will need to get the info. in the next day. Thanks and I will check on it asap.
  4. Captbaggywrinkles

Problem solved. This goes to show how important it is to reload often and keep sharp.
    I did not screw the sizing die down to the shell holder when setting up. Instead I set the die up as if it was the seating die. I placed a shell in the press and seated the die to its shoulder and backed off.
    Boy to I feel stupid.
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

OK,glad you got it worked out, but that doesn't explain this???
  6. Captbaggywrinkles

That confuses me as well. Thanks for the help.
    David
  7. noylj

noylj Member

He was bulging the brass as he was crimping and seating at the same time.
    He was supposed to screw the die down until it contacted the case and raise it 1 turn. Instead, he lowered the die until it contacted the shell holder and raised it 1 turn.
    Instructions and understanding are important for correct use of each die.
  8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Don't feel bad, I nearly tossed a bag of 308 brass because I didnt screw the resizing die in far enough to push the shoulders back. We all have done it. Good idea to not crimp and seat simultaneously..........
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  9. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

If that were the cause, then he would still be having the same problem after he adjusted his sizing die?

10. the yooper

the yooper New Member

im gilty of the same thing i set all up and ran 200 rounds once like that what is the best fix for them 200 rounds aint tried to fix my messup yet. any sugestions ?
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There's two ways to fix it. If you just slightly rolled the shoulder, you can chamber each round, forcing it into the chamber with the bolt. This will iron out the crease and size the case to your chamber. The problem with this is you are forcing the bolt closed on a loaded round. There is a possibility of firing it while trying to get it to fit (unless you can remove the firing pin from your bolt. That's easy to do on most bolt actions, but much harder on most levers and autoloaders).

The better solution is to get out your handy dandy inertia bullet puller, pull all those rounds down and try again, with your dies set up correctly. Can't accidentally shoot a hole in the TV or the dog that way.
  12. DGG!

DGG! New Member

Get a cartridge gauge and be sure your rounds easily fit into it. Adjust your dies so that they will do this. A cartridge gauge is cheap and precision made to SAAMI specs, as are the rifles chambered for the cartridge.

I was confused about the reloading OAL and wasted time until I bought a $10 cartridge gauge and setup so that completed rounds easily dropped into and out of the gauge. I've never had a problem loading these reloads in any gun of the same caliber.
  13. the yooper

the yooper New Member

after reading i first checked my orl found the prob . about 3/10 were tite the rest good . i was trying to get it out there as far as i could:eek: for accuracy not going to pushit so far no more .not worth it. thanks for your thoughts :) happy loader!!
  14. muddober

muddober Active Member

Captain, maybe I am missing something here but it sounds to me like you were not be seating the bullet deep enough in the case causing it to bump up against the rifling. The Ruger Number 1 does not give you the "cam over" advantage a bolt gun does and therefore it will not tolerate much leeway in ammo perfection.

Ron
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  15. the yooper

the yooper New Member

ALPO thanks for reply . found mistake just need to reseat them a little deeper:eek: