Chamfering and deburring question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ChuckR, Dec 5, 2011.

  1. ChuckR

    ChuckR Member

    Sep 3, 2011
    South East Michigan
    Hi guys,
    Sorry to be asking so many questions lately, but there is no one around me that reloads. Also I checked the back post and have not found this asked before. After trimming the cases, they then need to be chamfered and deburred. When looking at tools to do this, I see they come with different angles ( ex. 45 degree-32 degree-28 degree). As I only shoot at ranges and plinking, does it make a difference on what angle I should use. If so what would be the best one to use?. I went on google. but did not find any good articles on this . As always thanks for any input you can give.

  2. cpttango30

    cpttango30 Guest

    No it won't make much difference in plinking ammo. I use the standard chamfer debuting tool for debuting. I like the Lyman VLD chamfering tool myself I have less shaved bullets when I use it. Plus you can unscrew it from the handle and put it in a drill for a little faster trimm time..

  3. JLA

    JLA Well-Known Member

    Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    The standard double ended chamfer deburr tool is 45*. thats what i use, i have several. one I keep in my Bow toolbox for deburring cut arrow shafts before gluing in the new inserts. The VLD deburr tools are more angled to get a deeper longer chamfer on the inside of the casemouth so seating bullets doesnt distort the jacket. Someday ill buy one but for now the thousands of cases I have bedurred with my lymans and RCBS tools have left them still sharp. They apparently last a lifetime.
  4. jim brady

    jim brady Well-Known Member

    Sep 22, 2009
    Simla, Colorado
    As far as chamfering and be-burring - you only need to chamfer and de-burr to get rid of the burr left when you trim the case. One thing you don't want to do is make a sharp edge on the case. You will have just de-burred too much and risk a split case neck. You just want to get rid of the burrs.

    To the tools - I use an RCBS chamfering tool. Had it so long I don't remember when I bought it. The one before it was a LEE tool, and it went dull pretty quick. Think the RCBS tool is a 45 degree angle.
  5. JLA

    JLA Well-Known Member

    Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    I gave up on the lee tool becasue I didnt like the design of it. The outside debur step made an ugly ring on the side of a perfectly perfect case.

    I still have it, its still sharp, but i dont use it.
  6. howlnmad

    howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

    Nov 26, 2008
    Harriman, Tn
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one that's noticed that.
  7. woolleyworm

    woolleyworm Well-Known Member

    Feb 23, 2009
    SW Fort Worth
    I use the RCBS/Wilson. It's worked perfectly, just one or two quick twists and the burr is gone.
  8. myfriendis410

    myfriendis410 Member

    Mar 30, 2011
    Lompoc California
    You might find a sharp angle inside deburring tool to be of more use in small caliber stuff like .223 and 22-250. I use the standard RCBS hand tool for all of my stuff and like others have said above; you are only "breaking" the edge and not removing a ton of metal. The outside chamfering is equally important to maintain consistent neck tension on the bullet when it's chambered in the rifle.
Similar Threads
Forum Title Date
The Ammo & Reloading Forum Flash hole deburring. Yesterday at 12:36 AM