1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Chamfering and deburring question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ChuckR, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

Hi guys,
    Sorry to be asking so many questions lately, but there is no one around me that reloads. Also I checked the back post and have not found this asked before. After trimming the cases, they then need to be chamfered and deburred. When looking at tools to do this, I see they come with different angles ( ex. 45 degree-32 degree-28 degree). As I only shoot at ranges and plinking, does it make a difference on what angle I should use. If so what would be the best one to use?. I went on google. but did not find any good articles on this . As always thanks for any input you can give.

Chuck
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

No it won't make much difference in plinking ammo. I use the standard chamfer debuting tool for debuting. I like the Lyman VLD chamfering tool myself I have less shaved bullets when I use it. Plus you can unscrew it from the handle and put it in a drill for a little faster trimm time..
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The standard double ended chamfer deburr tool is 45*. thats what i use, i have several. one I keep in my Bow toolbox for deburring cut arrow shafts before gluing in the new inserts. The VLD deburr tools are more angled to get a deeper longer chamfer on the inside of the casemouth so seating bullets doesnt distort the jacket. Someday ill buy one but for now the thousands of cases I have bedurred with my lymans and RCBS tools have left them still sharp. They apparently last a lifetime.
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

As far as chamfering and be-burring - you only need to chamfer and de-burr to get rid of the burr left when you trim the case. One thing you don't want to do is make a sharp edge on the case. You will have just de-burred too much and risk a split case neck. You just want to get rid of the burrs.

To the tools - I use an RCBS chamfering tool. Had it so long I don't remember when I bought it. The one before it was a LEE tool, and it went dull pretty quick. Think the RCBS tool is a 45 degree angle.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I gave up on the lee tool becasue I didnt like the design of it. The outside debur step made an ugly ring on the side of a perfectly perfect case.

I still have it, its still sharp, but i dont use it.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that's noticed that.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I use the RCBS/Wilson. It's worked perfectly, just one or two quick twists and the burr is gone.
  8. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

You might find a sharp angle inside deburring tool to be of more use in small caliber stuff like .223 and 22-250. I use the standard RCBS hand tool for all of my stuff and like others have said above; you are only "breaking" the edge and not removing a ton of metal. The outside chamfering is equally important to maintain consistent neck tension on the bullet when it's chambered in the rifle.