Champion Iver Johnsons Arms & Cycle Works Gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jlynn9245, Jun 23, 2012.

1. jlynn9245

jlynn9245 New Member

I am completely gun retarded. I have found a rifle in my attic which most likely belonged to a great grandfather. I have no use for it and would like to sell it but have no idea what it would even be worth.

It has the Owl logo on the buttplate and the receiver reads "CHAMPION (in sort of a fancy script)(next line) IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS AND CYCLE WORKS (next line) FITCHBURG MASS. U.S.A." On the top center of the barrel it reads "-12 GAUGE FULL CHOKE. BARREL AND LUG FORGED IN ONE-" The last markings I can find are C BUT on the bottom behind the trigger area. I would appreciate any info you could give me. There is nothing about any "Pats Pending" or anything else.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, from what I can glean out of your information, it is not a rifle but a single barrel shot gun, of which Iver Johnson made a bunch of in the last hundred years. Good shotgun but the value lies in being a " using gun " for someone who wants a utilitarian type shotgun. Condition is every thing, if it is like new then maybe 125 to 150. if it is in the well used condition that I've seen most of these shotguns, then 25 to 50 dollars. Best I can do, any others?
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Ron called it. Iver Johnson Champion is a shotgun. Yours is 12 gauge and is most likely chambered for 2 3/4" shells (12 gauge normally can be found in 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2" chambers - you don't want either of the last two). It's a cheap gun - a Chevy, not a Cadillac - but just like a Chevy, it's good, just inexpensive. Probably has a 30" barrel. Great for shooting squirrels. Not bad for ducks. A little long for the turkey woods and the choke's a little tight for quail, but it'll get the job done if you do your part. My uncles kept my Mama's family fed, during the Depression, with an Iver Johnson Champion. 'Course, I'm sure they were shooting game out of season and shooting pheasants on the ground. But they brought home the meat. :)
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum jlynn. The Champion was made 1900-1957, and can be dated to a decade if you can find the serial number; is there a number before the C you mention? If so, made in 1920s.
  5. Hammerdak

Hammerdak New Member

I know it's an older post but I recently inherited a 20 gauge IR like your 12 gauge. The information so far is accurate. The CBUT is a 4 letter serial number that IR used between 1937-1940. They used numbers before and after that.
    Nobody knows why the change. The system was based on the name Fitchburg.
    F= 1, I =2, T =3, C=4. Etc... So yours was the 4673th gun made after they satrted that S/N system. Mine was the 8087th. X=0.
  6. Fatstrat

Fatstrat Active Member

I agree that condition is everything. But if it's in well used but working/firing condition I would disagree that it is only worth $25. to $50.
    That's junker wall hanger/parts gun price. A working gun is imo worth at least $75. to $100.
    I'll buy all the working shotguns/.22's and pretty ANY other gun I can find for $50. or less. And I haven't bought one in years. Because there aren't any. I've pretty much given up repair projects because I can't even find repairable broken guns in that price range. IMO the price quoted is a Pawnshop/Gunshop/Gunshow vendor 1/2 value offer estimate.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  7. Peterpolesky

Peterpolesky New Member

Yes, the whole trigger guard pulls down to drop the barrel. My mistake it is a 12 gauge. It has a hammer. I have so many old guns i got it mixed up with another gun.