Chance to buy Walther

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by vsman, Feb 28, 2006.

1. vsman

vsman New Member

I have a chance to buy a Walther 7.65 mm and am trying to get information on it. On the non chamber side it has the Walther flag and the following:
    Carl Weather Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do.
    Modell PP Cal. 7.65mm
    It is also stamped by the importer Bello WPB (and something I can't make out)
    The chamber slide is also marked with the Bello name. On the chamber side behind the trigger is a five digit number
    I am not looking for a collector pistol just a hand gun.
    Can any one give me a little info on this. I have been all over the internet and have found some pistols that come close but not exact.
    Thanks
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

3. vsman

vsman New Member

That's it with the exception of the location of Modell PP The pistol I am looking at has the information laid out as I posted, just two lines. I don't know if it makes any difference. I can buy this for $300. Is it worth the money? I want to teach my wife to shoot and am wondering how dependable it is and how economical it is to shoot. How old is the weapon? Dose the serial number have any significance as to the year of manufacture. I own shot guns and rifles but have never owned a pistol. I had been to the site you referenced but had trouble identifying the correct model. Thank you for the information.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Wow! A lotta questions here. OK, lets go one at a time.

I can buy this for $300. Is it worth the money?

Depends on when and where it was made, and condition. Yours is probably a PostWar Model PP, made in Germany by Walther....if in 90% condition or better, worth $300 or more.

How old is the weapon? Dose the serial number have any significance as to the year of manufacture?

Yes, but I don't have a list of Serial #s to manufacture date.

I want to teach my wife to shoot and am wondering how dependable it is and how economical it is to shoot.

Very well made, very dependable, but not very economical to shoot. 7.65mm (same as .32 ACP) isn't cheap. If you want to teach your wife to shoot, I'd suggest that you buy a .22 pistol or revolver. And.....if you've never owned a handgun before, I'd suggest .22 is the way to go for you too.

To become proficient in shooting a handgun, the way to go is practice, practice, practice. And shooting .22 is cheap, thus encouraging practice, practice, practice.

7.65 is really a marginal caliber. Too small for self-defense, too expensive for plinking and target shooting.

I'm not trying to discourage you from the PP.....I'm just calling it as I see it. If you really like the PP, I'd suggest you look for one in .22. They were made in that caliber also.
  5. vsman

vsman New Member

Thanks for the info. Thats what I was looking for.
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Many of these .32 Walthers were recently imported into this country. They are often Danish police guns, and sold for $279 or so with spare mag and box. Not a bad house gun, I suppose, but can be finicky with some types of ammo. I wouldn't buy it as a training or self defense pistol for $300. There are much better guns you can buy for your purposes for that kind of money.