Change barrel on a Rem 700

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by clamman, Jul 28, 2012.

1. clamman

clamman Member

I have a Rem 700 LH in 30-06 that I don't use anymore. Lately I've been doing rimfire shooting with my CZ 455 and loving it. Just now a lightbulb came on. Can I convert this rifle into a caliber for casual target shooting that wouldn't break the bank? I'll check back with you on Monday.
  2. Twicepop

Twicepop Active Member

You can use this rifle as-is without converting anything. Use cast bullets and reduced powder charges. There are several companies out there that sell a variety of cast bullets, or you could begin casting you own, if you're not already involved in this activity. Several different powders by most of the manufacturers lend themselves very well to reduced charges (less money required per shot). Ammunition for something like this could be assembled for a few cents per round, with no expensive modifications to your rifle.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Pop gave you the best advice. Doing a barrel swap isnt huge money but youre restricted by the .473 bolthead as to what you can switch it to. And pretty much all in the .473 family will cost you about the same or more to shoot as the oughtsix. You could always have a new bolt with a .378 bolthead to support the .223 rem family but then youd be talking bigger money and it would be much cheaper to just buy a cheaper to shoot rifle.

I take it that you do not handload, so correct me if im wrong.. But if im correct then my advice to add to pops above is to go buy you a good reloading manual and read up. I recommend the Hornady 8th or the Lyman 49th, or both for that matter. And read the first 120 pages or so. Completing this task will let you know if reloading is something youd be interested in getting into. And if you do decide to take the plunge, theres tons of help here waiting for you. ;)

Good luck!
  4. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Sell the 700, buy what you want.