Change In Procedure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big ugly, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

In Preble County Ohio the EMS services has issued that there is to be a change in Procedure reguarding accident victims. I was on the phone with a friend of mine and he was telling me that in the case of an accident with injuries the the younger victim is to be handled and treated first. For instance if a 20 something and a 50 something crashes together then the younger of the two victims in this case the 20 something, will be treated first while the 50 y/o will have to wait for treatment. Same goes for transport. He was also telling me that hospital Triage Units are goin for the same procedures in Montgomery County Ohio and In Wayne County Indiana.:mad:
  2. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Is this change a company policy or is it a state/county policy?

For some reason I don't think that a company would do this because of possible law suits, but I'm curious.
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

The EMS service he works for is in a small town that is all volunteer. So I am guessing state or regional. Their equipment is all gotten by donations, leveys, and government grants.
  4. topper

topper New Member

The younger will have more time and oppurtunity to pay back the system than the older one? Sorta discrimination on the seniors I would think. Whatever happened to equal treatment for ALL persons? Could be a major lawsuit in the offing, if the right person was denied first treatment.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and unofficial implimentation of Bo Bo and co.'s health plan??
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    There ya go Jack. Keep those alive that are still productive, let those that are no longer productive go.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

If i have this right...

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

sorry to quote this back to you but i do admire this document and slightly ( an understatement trust me) jealous of your ownership of it , and your constitution ( or most of it)

cheers

jack
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  8. Artemus

Artemus New Member

All the more reason to use Grecian formula on a daily basis.
  9. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

:eek: If it is true, I'm very lucky to be European!!!
  10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I believe you're right. After all, they have to start easing people into the new reality of AdolfCare slowly, right?
  11. red14

red14 Active Member

Obviously the older victim, even if damage is exactly the same, is more likely to die.

The object of triage, is to take care of the worse patient.

We older people are obviously not a priority.

Here's hoping Obamalamadingdong is the oldest one in a crash there.
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yea but he would "override" that rule if it were him. Same way he wouldnt take the same coverage he wants to give everyone else.
  13. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

We should force it on him, same as he's trying to do to us!
  14. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Big city, small town, paid department, volunteer or private company this is so contrary to training, protocol and proper patient care I just can't believe it. I suspect someone has mistaken a statement made by another. Paid or volunteer those EMS Technicians are state certified and must receive continuing training. This would go against what they are taught. Attempting to go against established protocol and accepted good practice would open all involved to tremendous liability. I spent 28 years in emergency services in Ohio and it just cannot be anything other than a misunderstanding or the spreading of a malicious rumor. The emergency medical service in this state is just too highly regulated for this to be true. I will make some contacts and see if I can find some FACTS.
  15. red14

red14 Active Member

Thanks Chief.

Situation, 80 year old with 103 temperature, 8 month old with same temperature.
  16. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Situation, 80 year old with 103 temperature, 8 month old with same temperature.

Great example Red.
  17. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

I have heard nothing along these lines as an RN in a Designated Trauma Center. We are continually set up to handle multiple traumas at once, of course, but our triage system is set up to treat those in the most danger first, regardless of age.

& Red, change the babies temp to 105/106 & you have a great scenario. High temps in kids aren't that big a deal anymore...I get late night calls from my friends with small kids all the time & the first thing I ask is "How high is this fever?" if less than 105 I say alternate tylenol & ibu, get an appt in the am if the fever persists. They almost always wont listen the first time, so they take them to the ER where the Doc gives the kids Tylenol & sends them home.

Chris
  18. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I wish that were true. From what I understand that this is within the whole region. Wrong as it may be it is the truth. I dont like it any more than you do but it is what it is.
  19. Popeye

Popeye New Member

This is secondhand hearsay information.

For government policy to be "official" there must be written statements of policy and procedure. Before policy is implemented there are memos and meetings with official minutes. Then, all affected personnel are informed in writing of policy/procedure changes.

This is the way government works. There must be multiple layers of CYA. If not, nothing gets implemented. Government officials live in fear of successful lawsuits and of the loss of their cushy jobs.

Get this information of official letterhead and signed by the person making decisions. Then, and only then, raise holy hades!

One more point. Since this covers three Counties in two different States, far too many people are involved for this to be a successful consipracy.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  20. Popeye

Popeye New Member

It is important that citizens be made aware of governmental changes that negatively effect their lives. Awareness is the first step on the road to change.

It is extremely important that those who wish to educate the public about these negative changes have proof to back up their charges. This is how trust is built and veracity is proven.

It is of vital importance that we not go screaming over the edge!