Changing caliber on Win 94

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Thunderburd, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Thunderburd

Thunderburd New Member

New to this site and not sure which forum to post this in. \
    I had been trying to purchase a 94 in 7-30 Waters but found it out of reach. I had read an article about changing a 30-30 by changing the barrel. I think that article said that the gauges were not even needed on the 94. I have not been able to locate that article in my files. I now have a barrel (XTR) and an XTR rifle with a 30-30 barrel. Also have go and no-go gauges. The new barrel is cut for sights though has none installed. I have purchased sights (Marbles .410 front sight and 2 3/4" semi buchhorn rear sight). The 24" barrel has the loop for the magazine tube. This barrel seems like it would just screw in until the magazine tube \ sights line up with the reciever.
    Can anyone offer their experience.
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    It's a bit more complicated than that, Thunder. You will need headspace gauges as all barrels must be properly headspaced to function and be safe. Removing the original barrel - especially without the proper gunsmithing equipment - can be a lesson in futility, as well as, destructive to the firearm. If you don't have gunsmithing experience, I would STRONGLY suggest taking to a certified gunsmith to have it converted.
  3. Thunderburd

Thunderburd New Member

Thanks for the info. mtnboomer. I had thought I might get into that and had checked into the price beforehand. One gunsmith was charging more than the value of gun but I found one guy that said he would do it for $125.
    Is that a fair price? I assumed it was compairing it to the other's.
    Thanks again.
  4. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Sounds like a fair price to me - and make sure he guarantees his work.