1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Changing caliber on Win 94

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Thunderburd, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Thunderburd

Thunderburd New Member

New to this site and not sure which forum to post this in. \
    I had been trying to purchase a 94 in 7-30 Waters but found it out of reach. I had read an article about changing a 30-30 by changing the barrel. I think that article said that the gauges were not even needed on the 94. I have not been able to locate that article in my files. I now have a barrel (XTR) and an XTR rifle with a 30-30 barrel. Also have go and no-go gauges. The new barrel is cut for sights though has none installed. I have purchased sights (Marbles .410 front sight and 2 3/4" semi buchhorn rear sight). The 24" barrel has the loop for the magazine tube. This barrel seems like it would just screw in until the magazine tube \ sights line up with the reciever.
    Can anyone offer their experience.
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    It's a bit more complicated than that, Thunder. You will need headspace gauges as all barrels must be properly headspaced to function and be safe. Removing the original barrel - especially without the proper gunsmithing equipment - can be a lesson in futility, as well as, destructive to the firearm. If you don't have gunsmithing experience, I would STRONGLY suggest taking to a certified gunsmith to have it converted.
  3. Thunderburd

Thunderburd New Member

Thanks for the info. mtnboomer. I had thought I might get into that and had checked into the price beforehand. One gunsmith was charging more than the value of gun but I found one guy that said he would do it for $125.
    Is that a fair price? I assumed it was compairing it to the other's.
    Thanks again.
  4. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Sounds like a fair price to me - and make sure he guarantees his work.