Changing Career Paths

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hogger129, Feb 21, 2010.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I am considering changing career paths. This is due to my difficulty securing an apprenticeship - nobody is hiring anyone on as an apprentice and there is little work if any. I am thinking about going to school and trying to become a police officer. I have friends who were police officers. I want to be part of the community and put away the bad guys we all hate. What are some things to consider before I decide it's really what I want to do? Thanks.
  2. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

Good place to start looking is usajobs.opm.gov. This is where all federal jobs are listed and you can create your resume right online and start applying.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

If I go to school and take all the classes I need to take, is there a good chance of getting a federal job right out of school? I mean my friend who was a LEO for years started as a patrolman and had to work his way up before he became a detective. I'd think they'd only hire people who have had experience and seniority. If I did become a LEO, that's what I'd want to be eventually is a detective.
  4. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

Many departments want a person with at least a Associates degree in criminal justice because the department may not be able to afford to send a person to an academy. This is not true for large cities and many federal agencies because they have police academies to train personnel. You don't need a degree to be a Border Patrol Agent, Customs Officer or the forrest service. A degree helps but is not required. Look at the announcements closely.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I also heard that if you have traffic violations, you won't get hired. Is that true? I have had two speeding tickets my whole life and I heard numerous ones will de-qualify you from getting a job as a LEO.
  6. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I wouldn't think speeding tickets would diaqualify you.

Now a DUI/DWI.....:eek:.... that might be a different story.

If the LEO thing doesn't work... go to undertakers school... :eek:

Therre will always be Bad guys & Dead guys... :p
  7. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

I also heard that if you have traffic violations, you won't get hired. Is that true?

It can be used as a disqualifier but usually not an issue.

You need to be over the age of 18, no felonies or misdemeanors of domestic violence and a US citizen. Certain things can be a disqualifier such has a health issues, history of drug or alcohol abuse, ect.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  8. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You're only 23 so you dont have a career path yet. Just follow your aspirations and do what you gotta do. At your age you have the time to be whatever you want to be. Dont worry about a couple of speeding tickets.