1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Changing safety on Kimber

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by turboman, Jun 30, 2007.

1. turboman

turboman New Member

For household protection I have a Kimber Pro CDP II loaded with EXTREME SHOCK ammo, and a Lasergrip (not installed yet).

It has ambi safeties and the RH one bumps the lasergrip and won't fully release. Ordered a cut down safety from Ron Brown also. Is changing the safety a me-do-it project or should I take it in? Instructions always say take it to a qualified gunsith. Had problems with other 1911 safety changes where they would come apart at the middle coupling (installed by gunsmith).

Any advice humbly accepted. Got a thick 1911 manual/book but haven't checked it yet. (newbie to forum. Great site).
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Have you thought about trimming the part of the grip the safety touches ? It looks close but if only a little it won't matter. The new safety will not be a drop in part as it will need some fitting. If you have never attempted this procedure, you may want to have the job done by a competent pistolsmith.

Gently filing the contact area may cure the problem and save some money.
  3. turboman

turboman New Member

The part the safety hits is the housing of the laser. Don't know how thick the plastic housing is. A little to deep and it could ruin the laser, or at least put a "water hole" in it. I guess I'll have the "smitty" do the safety.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Call LaserGrip customer service and you may get an answer to the thickness of the area to be trimmed.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.