Chanterelle mushroom harvest 2012!!!

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by aa1911, Oct 7, 2012.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

The extremely dry weather here in western WA has hurt the shrooms a bit but only in size; they were out in full force as far as numbers though.

Discovered this patch last year during elk season, went about a month ago during my first bear trip and weren't any popped up yet, did a day trip to the mountains today with the family and bingo, nice crop awaited us.

gotta get them washed and dried, may freeze some too. Last year they were much bigger but still netted quite a harvest this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and no, I will not tell ANYONE where this is! my secret chanterelle patch.... :D
  2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

That looks like a bag full of good eats.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeppers! they go for about $10/pound here lately.

Got skunked for morrels this year though, found all of about 2 total.

and those are the only two mushrooms I dare mess with, easy to recognize/ID and the ones that look close won't kill ya!
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Yum !! that's a nice harvest, only thing better than butter fried chanterelles is butter fried morels, as you may well agree. Top two mushrooms on my list.
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

you said it!

crab stuffed morrels, hard to beat...
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

$30 a pound here , all imported and from china , there was the American funguy import co here for years until he passed on ( correct spelling )

he imported em and everyone bought off him , and he had a supply of stuff for US expats out here

he was here during WW2 and came back after, and US fireworks too! rocket kits the stuff no-one else did and at reasonable prices considering the south pacific peso's value for decades ..
  7. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I went morel hunting once when I was around 13. We went up to Nebraska, on the banks of the Missouri river and picked almost a full grocery bag of them, but then my mom said we had to trash them because of some bug that was in them. I still have no idea what a morel tastes like.
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

ate a ton of 'em last night, wife put the rest up in vaccuum bags in the freezer for later. Pretty damn tasty with some meatloaf and smashed taters!