Charge vs. COL for 45ACP

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LesterPTelestrat, Jan 15, 2011.

1. LesterPTelestrat

LesterPTelestrat New Member

I'd like to hear your comments/thoughts about how much space between the top of the charge and the bullet depth is desireable.

When I ran out of Unique, I went from using approx 5.8 grns of Unique to 5.3 grains of HP38. The HP38 doesn't fill the case as much as the Unique does. I like to keep the COL at 1.265" to keep the accuracy in tact, however I wonder if I'm leaving too much empty space in the case? Is it better to keep the empty space to a minimum by seating the bullet deeper, or better to keep the COL longer and suffer a larger void in the case?

Thanks for any input ya'll have.

LPT
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

As long as you are using data from your manuals it wont matter how much space is left in the case. Keep an eye on the minimum oal. At 1.265 you are good with COL. I load for a friend that uses lead 200g bullets and wants me to use Bullseye at 3.8g because he wants a light load. I am trying to get him to switch to HP-38 as the load would be 4.8g which is much easier for me to see before I seat the bullet on the case. Follow data that your manuals tell you. BTW, I dont use unigue anymore as it is hard to get the correct throw in my equipment. Cornflakes dont meter well.:D
  3. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

Just finished working up a new load this morning. 230gr bullet with 4.6gr of
    Titegroup. Same thing, the case doesn't even look half full. This load seems to be very accurate though. Because of all the extra space in the case I tried an experiment this morning. I worked my way up to 4.6gr of powder and decided that this would be the amount of powder that I would use for this particular load. On the chronograph they averaged 775 fps, this was for the first 10 rounds. After that I pointed the gun straight up and then lowered slowly to the target so as to keep the powder to the back of the case. The shots all averaged over 800 fps. I then did the opposite, meaning that I pointed the gun down and then brought it up slowly to keep the powder to the front of the round and they averaged much slower more in the 750 fps. Sorry didn't mean to hijack your post, but I was just this morning doing all of this and I thought it pertained to what you were asking.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My best load for my .45ACP is 228 gr cast over 4.8 gr titegroup. COAL is 1.225 putting the base of the bullet a few thousandths off the top of the charge. this load is one hole accurate from a sandbag at 25 yds. Titegroup is my favorite pistol powder...
  5. garydude

garydude Member

Very interesting. Did you do this for each round before you fired or just once before you went through the magazine?
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

My suggestion is that if you're changing powders, work up a load on HP38 seperately. There is no direct correlation between keeping the COL the same and how it affects accuracy with a different powder. COL will certainly affect how a particular bullet feeds/functions in your gun though. Work up a new load and see what happens on paper; you might just like HP38 better. Pay attention to MIN OAL's and you'll be fine; seating a bullet deeper than MIN is going to greatly impact the data in the manuals and quite possibly your gun/hands/life.

In general, greater load density does equate to an increase in accuracy/consistency. Properly working up a load after any change in components is what will greatly increase accuracy/consistency AND safety! ;)
  7. LesterPTelestrat

LesterPTelestrat New Member

Springerbuster, that is very interesting and certainly does apply to my post and one of the reasons I believe the void should be minimal in the cartridge. However I've read that a longer COL could increase accuracy due to the bullet not having to jump as far to hit the rifling in the barrel. I suppose that will differ from gun to gun but have been trying to keep my COL longer because.... well it's closer to the COL of the factory ammo I've used and I'm trying to do everything possible to improve accuracy!