CHARGEMASTER COMBO W/ DISPENSER AND SCALE

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by willieb1989, Feb 10, 2010.

1. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

does anyone know what the cheapest one is thats the best. I really would like peoples opinions. i dont know much yet but want to get into it more. did 50 bullets tonight. really enjoyed it. Just really time consuming weighing everyone. let me know please and thanking.
  2. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

I'm not 100% sure what your asking here.

The RCBS Chargemaster Combo is a very good product that will greatly reduce the time it takes to charge cases. I've used mine for a while now without any major issues.

Other companies offer good automatic charge dispensors as well; PACT, Lyman, and now Hornady as well.

As far as prices go... I've seen the Chargemaster for down as low as $270, you'll just need to shop around.
  3. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

i mean like all the different powder measures.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

willieb1989:

The modern thinking (Handloader magazine's John Barsness video "Advanced Handloading Beyond the Basics") says weighing each load is a waste of time. Other variables in the scheme of reloading swamps out any inaccuracies that might be caused by variation in power quantities as long as the variation is not too great. So throwing loads out of a good powder measure is completely adequate (that's the way Bench Rest Competition shooter do it and they shoot groups in the sub 0.020 inches range all day long).

My advice is to get a powder measure from Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Hornady, or Dillon and supply the cases powder directly from the measure. Checking it every 10th round is probably sensible but my Dillon does so well on ball powders that I set it up once for the session and don't bother to check it again. For stick powders (IMR type and others) the powder measures have trouble feeding them and this is probably not a good idea, so start using ball powders. Hodgdon makes a line of them (some are the same powders as Winchester) or the short stick powders (Hodgdon again). I find the Redding BR30 powder measure does better than most for loads around 30 grains.

The bottom line is save your money and buy just a really good powder measure, start using ball or short cut or small flake powders, and only use the scale to calibrate the powder measure. This easily gets you to + or - 0.1 grains with most powders of this type whereas + or - a couple of tenths of a grain is adequate accuracy for powder loads.

LDBennett
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

double post, deleted
  6. willieb1989

willieb1989 New Member

Thank you bennet, that saves me money to and seems like it will go faster. appreciate it alot. thanks again.